Advice needed on reaction to medication

Bradders

Jul 30, 2013
Hi folks - my elderly mum was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. She was tried on aricept but it had too many side effects for her. For the past few days she's been taking the 5mgs of memantine but she seems to be causing her to become very anxious. The GP has prescribed her a weeks worth of low dose sedatives so she can sleep which is working but she says she still feeling panicky during the day.
I've looked at the side effects for the medication and it doesn;t list anxiety/panic attacks. Has anyone else experience of this? I'm just not sure whether mum is suffering the anxiety because of her diagnosis and her worry about the medication not working for her.
Any advice?
Thanks!

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Welcome Bradders. I am sorry to learn about your mum.

Can I suggest you keep a log (like a diary) of her symptoms? That should help the GP monitor her - and help you and her keep your heads round what is happening.

In my experience it can take ages for medication to get tuned to an individual: we are all different and it may need adjusting several times. If your mum is feeling really unwell - can you see the GP with her?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome Bradders.

My husband started Memantine 4 weeks ago. He hasn't had any panic symptoms but he has been excessively tired. We had reached the maximum dose of 20mg but he is sleeping most of the time. We saw the memory clinic nurse this morning and he has suggested going back down to 10 mg. he also gave me a booklet entitled 'An Alzheimer's Disease Guide for people treated with Ebixa and their Carers'. At the back of the book there are diary sheets. I wish I'd had these when Bill started on the Memantine Asia would have given me a clear picture of whether this tiredness is completely related to the Melantine. It might be worth trying to get the booklet from your memory doctor.

Bradders

Jul 30, 2013
Welcome Bradders. I am sorry to learn about your mum.

Can I suggest you keep a log (like a diary) of her symptoms? That should help the GP monitor her - and help you and her keep your heads round what is happening.

In my experience it can take ages for medication to get tuned to an individual: we are all different and it may need adjusting several times. If your mum is feeling really unwell - can you see the GP with her?

Thankfully she doesn't seem unwell but she says she's feeling quite anxious and I'm concerned because tomorrow night she goes up to the 10mg dose of the medication. If her anxiety is a reaction I'm assuming it will be more severe with a higher dose.

I live over an hour's drive from her but I've taken tomorrow off to go over and spend the day with her. Think I'll try to get a GP appointment but it seems that different clinicians offer different advice. The memory clinic nurse says she should stop taking the meds but the GP says she should persevere if she can! Mum is turning to me for advice and I don't know what to say. I've read that anxiety can accelerate the dementia so I'm anxious not to give her the wrong advice.

Bradders

Jul 30, 2013
Hi and welcome Bradders.

My husband started Memantine 4 weeks ago. He hasn't had any panic symptoms but he has been excessively tired. We had reached the maximum dose of 20mg but he is sleeping most of the time. We saw the memory clinic nurse this morning and he has suggested going back down to 10 mg. he also gave me a booklet entitled 'An Alzheimer's Disease Guide for people treated with Ebixa and their Carers'. At the back of the book there are diary sheets. I wish I'd had these when Bill started on the Memantine Asia would have given me a clear picture of whether this tiredness is completely related to the Melantine. It might be worth trying to get the booklet from your memory doctor.

Thanks I- I will ask for one.

VicB

Mar 24, 2013
USA
My wife was prescribed Arricet at 5 then 10 mg. She had trouble initially in taking both doses. It seemed to upset her stomach and give her dizziness. I found that eating and having something on her stomach was critical. I also found that if she knew she was taking it she would anticipate problems. I have found now that now she has adjusted very well and doesn't have any side effects. I think it very important to take A and to keep taking it consistently so I would advise taking it. I think it takes a while to adjust to it. Good luck:)

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Had very similar experience with mum and the 2 drugs you mention. Cut long story, she was put on and off both drugs over a 6 month period till in the end, Aricept seemed the best option for mum.

So moral of mums story I suppose is keep trying and give it a little time as in the end mums body finally tollerated Aricept.