Advice Needed on Post Operation Dementia Problems

Splinter

Mar 29, 2005
Leeds
My father has been suffering from early signs of dementia for the last two years. Things have been getting progressivly worse but nothing that my mother couldn't handle. Recently, my father took a fall which resulted in him having to have a major spinal operation. He had the operation about 6 days ago and has been suffering from very serious delerium every since. He is now consious but his dementia is much worse than it was before the operation. I have spoken to the consultant surgeon who says that the interaction between his underlying dementia and the anaesthetic has cause this problem.

Does anyone have any experience people with dementia getting much worse following major surgury. Is this just a temporary condition meaning he will return to his pre-operative state or is this sudden deterioration permanment?

Any information would be much appreciated.

G :confused:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Splinter, yes, my Mum was much worse after an operation to mend her hip. Others here have said the same. If you use the search facility, type in anasthetics, you may find links to the threads that contained others querrying this. I am sure you will also get direct replies here too though. Love She. XX