Advice Needed For My Mum Please!

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help me. My dad has Alzheimers and my mum was saying today that she gets disability allowance but cannot qualify for carer's allowance. My dad has now got to the stage, if mum wasn't around, he couldn't look after himself. She has asked the social services and other people and they say she does not qualify for carer's allowance because she is claiming a state pension? Is this correct. It seems very odd to me. I said that I would post on this site and ask, because I know you are all at varying stages and someone must have come across this before. Can anyone help with my question. I know it would help my mum. My dad is now recovering from pneumonia, and I just hope that is doesnt set him back too much. This is such a cruel disease and so heartbreaking to see a loved one go through. You almost go through a grieving process when this is diagnosed, because the person you once knew is gone. But I wondered if anyone on here could help with my question. I know you're all such a caring bunch cos I often log in and read posts and it is very reassuring to know that other people understand what you are going through.
Thanks
Snooky x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Snooky

I'm afraid I believe that this is correct - carer's allowance is only payable if you are not receiving another state benefit. It's not at all fair, but it's how the system is set up. There are one or two other things that your parents may be able to claim for, though. Is your father receiving Attendance Allowance? Also, if they are paying council tax, your father can be disregarded due to his dementia. When you say your mother gets disability allowance you mean on her own behalf - that is she has a disability?

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
If hope this may help.
As Peter was under 65 and receiving Incapacity Credit, D.L.A. at the high rate.
I am registered diabled and on Pension Credit, D.L.A. Sev. Disability.
then someone came round to help with our finances from Pension Credit, we were told that Peter could not have additional on his Inc. Benefit, and we could not claim Carers Allowance for each other, due to the following, I was in receipt of S.D.A. of £65 per week. If I gave that up I would receive my £26 per week pension.
On working things out they do count everything into the equation and give which every is the highest amount. If both parents are registered disabled there is the disability premium which is added on.
Do hope this help.
Best wishes. Christine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello snooky-welcome.
I believe you can't claim carer's allowance once you reach a pensionable age-daft-but true.
There may be other benefits your mum is entitled to-someone will be in touch to give you details-I'm sure.
There's a lot of support here. Keep talking-sorry for what you're all going through-it's especially hard at this time of year.
We're all here for each other! Love Gigi x

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Thanks for your quick replies. My mum is now disabled and the disability allowance is for my dad. My mum does receive her state pension, because she is over 65. I thought she would still be entitled to carer's allowance, because if she wasnt there dad certainly wouldnt be able to cope on his own. Is this correct then, that she cant receive the carer's allowance, seems really unfair to me because she is now a full-time carer and she is entitled to receive her state pension after all those years - why cant she receive a carer's allowance too?
Don't quite understand???
Snooky x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think, but am not 100% sure, that Carer`s Allowance is to compensate people who have given up work to care. If you don`t work, or are of pensionable age, you are expected to care, just because you are there. :rolleyes:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Snooky

It might just be an age thing.

Under 60 your mum can claim for Carer's Allowance, which is paid to her.

Over 60, your mum gets the state pension and Carer's allowance ceases. But your dad can then claim attendance allowance, which is paid to him, and then he can pay your mum or anyone else to provide the help he needs.

There are two levels of AA. The lower rate is payable if he needs help during the day -- most AD sufferers qualify. The higher rate is payable if he also needs help during the night.

Your best bet is to contact your local branch of Alheimer's Society. They are used to filling in the forms, and know the best way to express the help needed, to ensure that it is accepted.

Good luck,

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Thanks everyone. I will let my mum know, it makes sense now. I just thought it seemed really unfair, especially now my dad has unfortunately got to the stage where, without my mum, he would probably have to go into a home on a permanent basis. He does go to a care home once every four weeks at the moment to give my mum some respite. I work full time and so does my sis, but we are there as much as we can be. Thanks again everyone, I knew you would be able to help xx

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi, I just wondered if you could clarify something. My dad gets disability allowance (he is 73 yrs). Does this mean they are not entitled to attendance allowance also? Sorry, its a bit of a minefield, and I just want to make sure they get all the help they are entitled to.
Thanks again
Snooky x

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear snooky,
In the book State pensions for Carers & Parents.
It does state in the book:
If you are over State Pension age, getting Carer's Allowance will reduce any extra State Pension or lump-sum payment you could earn whilst putting off your State Pension.

If you are entitled to Carer's Allowance (even if you don't receive it because you have another benefit instead), and you are on low income, you may be able to get extra money with Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Pension Credit.

You can see the guides on:
www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

Wish you the best. Christine

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
hello snooky,
check that your Dad is getting the right rate of DLA (there are 3 rates for the care allowance).

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
hi, I just checked it out for you, unfortunately you can't get DLA and attendance allowance.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm afraid you're right about that as well - if you get DLA you can't claim AA as well. The one advantage that DLA has over AA is the mobility component. I believe that if that was applied for before reaching 65 you can keep it after you're 65.

You know, Age Concern offers a "benefit check". They'll come to your home and check that you (or rather your parents) are recieving the benefits to which they are entitled. Some benefits like Pension credits are positively impacted by disability - that is while someone might not normally be entitled to it, because a disability exists, and because there is an expectation that therefore living expenses are increased, they become entitled to it. Also, back to your original point, carers allowance - there can be advantages in applying for it (or so I have read) even if you "know" you won't get it because again, it can trigger an increase in other benefits.

Have a look at this leaflet
http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/benefits.asp

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi, Thanks again for your replies. Sorry about all the questions. I have just been reading up on some of the sites and my mum (who is the primary care) is aged over 65 and my dad is 74. They are getting DLA at the lower rate of 45 pounds per week, but I suppose this means she can't now claim the higher rate, because you have to be under 65 to initally claim for this, so they are over that now and just receive the mobility part of this allowance. Maybe this means it would now be best to claim for the higher level of AA which is about 65 per week and lose the DLA? It is really confusing and I'm just trying to find out my facts before I go ahead and try and sort it out.
Thanks
Snooky x

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi, I think I'm right in saying that once you are on DLA you can ask them to review it (even if you are over 65). In that case, your parents would be better off on DLA. There are 2 components (one for care and one for mobility) If you claim for both (and get the highest care rate), this would work out more than attendance allowance (I think).

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Let me get this straight - they are ONLY receiving the mobility component of DLA? That's the £45.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Maybe this means it would now be best to claim for the higher level of AA which is about 65 per week and lose the DLA? It is really confusing and I'm just trying to find out my facts before I go ahead and try and sort it out.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...tm#benefits_for_the_extra_costs_of_disability

If I was you I would make an appointment at your Local citizen advice , talk to them about it all . They great at making sure your parents get all they entitled , and the right
benefits .

also if your parents got AA they get a higher rate of pension credit , because your father got a disability . where with me they stop that part , because I was getting carer allowance.

Now your mother carer allowance has stop , her pension credit will go up if your father gets AA Or your mother .

They told me I could of keep the higher rate of pension credit, but it lower then the carer allowance .

so they said it was worth while staying on carer allowance

PS

From the link above

The Benefits Enquiry Line

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) run a telephone helpline giving information on benefits for sick and disabled people, their representatives and carers. This is called the Benefits Enquiry Line (BEL). In Northern Ireland, the Benefits Enquiry Line is run by the Social Security Agency. The helpline also offers help filling out claim forms over the phone when you are applying for Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance.

You can contact the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 (0800 220674 in Northern Ireland) or Minicom 0800 243355.

Last edited: