Advice needed for meeting with psyc tomorrow

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Catey, Jun 14, 2007.

1. DeborahBlythe

DeborahBlythe Registered User

Dec 1, 2006
    I think you have summed up a great deal in a nut shell, Catey. I reached the same conclusion about a year ago and nothing I've seen has changed my mind. What to do? Keep looking on the CSCI website for reports of other homes in your area. Join a local AS or carers group to see if anyone can recommend anywhere. Ask via TP for members in your area to PM you with suggestions about homes they are happy with. (Unless the rules have changed and it's now OK to recommend places openly). It's a rather fraught thing to do though as the care staff can change, the management can change etc and I think it's hard to recommend a place and be certain that it won't change in some way by the time another resident reaches it. Don't necessarily be put off by modest furnishings. The care staff and atmosphere may make up for the lack of showiness. Maybe ask if you can visit on a day when the residents are involved in an activity.
    Don't give up.

2. Cate

Cate Registered User

Jul 2, 2006
    Newport, Gwent
    Hi Catey

What a nightmare for you, as you say, you would think the home had got the message that their ‘activities’, or the lack of, need looking at.

My only suggestion would be, keep looking. We searched mum’s home area of Monmouth – found nothing suitable, moved onto the Newport area – found nothing, and eventually found a great home in Cardiff, which thankfully is not too far from me.

It’s a real eye opener isn’t it, talk about the good, bad, and down right ugly. You are completely right, glossy brochures do not paint the true picture at all, in fact, the home that we eventually settled on, doesn’t have a brochure at all, maybe they concentrate their efforts on looking after their residents, and not on some glossy marketing tool.

Keep looking, I’m sure you will eventually find something suitable.

Best wishes

Cate