Advice needed dealing with theft

Impassioned

Aug 14, 2019
Has anybody had any luck with getting there loved one to stop obsessing about somebody stealing there belongings.
My mum is obsessed with thinking that the lady who lives above her is breaking into her unit and stealing things, ranging from money, clothes, medication, and even utensils . It is causing my mum a lot of anxiety. She even thinks that she has taken out the screws on her wardrobe to remove the doors.
Most things she has lost, I end up finding them, hidden somewhere. But mum will not listen to reason or logic.
What she thinks is what has happened , and there is no changing her way of thinking.
Any help on how to stop this, or deal with this would be much appreciated.
She is 79 , and lives on her own.

Impassioned

Aug 14, 2019
Hi @Impassioned This is so common in dementia it is almost diagnostic.
I tried everything with mum, including changing all the locks, but it made no difference. As you say, logic and reasoning makes no difference.

Thank you @canary , It is so hard sometimes to know what to say.
If I agree with her, I thought it might be saying yes, she is breaking in and stealing your things. And thought it may make her worse. If I disagree, she just gets angry .
The link was very useful , Thank you for that.
I just hope this phase passes sooner than later . It must be so confusing and scary for mum,thinking that somebody is breaking into her place , I just wanted to reassure her that they wern't , but that just made her angry with me for not believing her.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Maybe speak to your GP about a medication review as there might be something that can be prescribed to help reduce her anxiety.