Advice needed asap!

suzygogo

Jul 26, 2013
Hi,

My mother has been recently moved to a nursing home. She can be very non compliant. I visited her last night and could get a funny smell the same smell was there again when I returned. I soon realised my mother had soiled herself and hadn't been changed. The nurse said she is very non compliant with them so i helped the nurse to change her.

Can anyone offer me advice on this situation? Should they have left my mother soiled for that amount of time??

Thanks in advance!

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Suzygogo, just sending you a warm welcome to Talking Point, and am so sorry your mum was left soiled, I have no experience (yet:eek:) of nursing homes for both my mum and mum in law who both have different forms of dementia, however I feel this seems unacceptable even more so with this hot weather, such a risk of infections as well, mum may have felt embarrassed to "trouble them" may I suggest you have a word with the manager or head nursing sister and make sure this does not happen again, good job you were there to get mum changed, what would have happened if you were not there? hoping someone will be along who has experience of this problem, but please do keep posting and let us know how things are going, much support and understanding is here for you.
Take care-Chris x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Is it possible it was a different soiling??

If it was the same one then it isnot acceptable, but I also understand how difficult it can be to change people if they really do not want to be changed. Is it possible it was a nurse of the opposite sex to your mother who first tried.??

Jeannette

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi,

It is very distressing but I am sure that if your Mum is not very compliant this may be the problem. They cannot hold her down and force her to comply. They can only coax and encourage and keep trying.

Hopefully as she gets familiar with the staff she will allow them to carry out this very personal care. There will be hiccups along the way until she is settled and feels comfortable.

Jay

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My husband is in a care home and doubly incontinent.

He always gets changed as far as I can tell at once. The carers recognise the smell even if I don't;). They have got to know Pete quite well by now and also recognise certain 'fidgets' that he does.

Unchanged incontinent pads/pants can bring about infections-it's serious to leave them unchanged.

Take care

Lyn T

suzygogo

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks a mill for all your comments, she seems to be settling down. Thank God. I was talking to a nurse in a different nursing home and she said it happens all the time as they cannot force or restrain her they have to encourage her and hope she settles down. I just found out my Father got diagnosed too so have been up to 90!!:(

Jerrie

Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Been through this also

Thanks a mill for all your comments, she seems to be settling down. Thank God. I was talking to a nurse in a different nursing home and she said it happens all the time as they cannot force or restrain her they have to encourage her and hope she settles down. I just found out my Father got diagnosed too so have been up to 90!!:(

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, but I have found that you have to keep a watch on the staff. Mom was in a nursing facility for five years. It was a constant struggle in keeping her clean, fed and cared for. If it had not been for my three sisters, brother and myself going about every day, I can not image the care she would have gotten. Even in the best of circumstances, the elderly are sometimes over looked. My mother was rather combative and they knew this before she was accepted. They are trained to handle patients like this.