Advice need with COP forms - How much to pay for two deputies

TwinMachine

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone I was hoping that you could all help give me some advice. My mother, late 70s, has mid to late stage dementia and my father, mid-80s, has finally agreed to get help after a recent fall and further deterioration in my mothers health.

In order to pay for the carers we need to apply for deputy-ship as POA was not put in place when she was still sound of mind (probably 4-5 years ago).

We are applying on a joint "joint and severally" basis for both the financial/property and welfare basis and I have prepared the forms (COP1, COP1a, COP1b, COP3, COP4 (once each)) with everything ready for the medical profession to complete the COP3 form but I am unsure about how many of the fees we need to pay.

As I understand it we need to pay twice, once for each of the deputy ships, but do we actually need to pay four times (twice each) or just twice as we are both named on the forms?

There does not appear to be a great deal of advice online and, sadly, both CA and Social Services have giving out the incorrect and illegal, if followed, advice to my father in the past trying to push him down the POA route even though my mother is long past any POA submission being legal which I have had to point out to them and ask that they stop it as its just confusing him to the point where he was going to apply for a loan that he could not afford just to try to cover the mounting costs of care.

Has anyone on here applied for both deputyships before under the "joint and severally" basis and if you did how many cheques did you send off with the applications?

sausagedog

Aug 22, 2019
Just a thought, you could ring the Court of Protection to ask - if you google, a contact number is given-hope this helps