Advice most welcome

Bluesarah

Apr 13, 2015
I believe my mum has been starting with dementia for a couple of years, as she has very very slowly become quite forgetful. Recently, she has lost confidence doing all the things she has always done (playing golf, sewing, cooking, gardening, even driving) and over the past two weeks now believes that my dad is not my dad and a man she knew years ago. I think she believes we're all in a conspiracy about this fact!
We are waiting on a consultant appointment but it is very worrying. Her mum, my Gran has Alzheimers, so I am preparing myself for the worst. But I don't remember it happening so fast with my Gran...the downhill turn seems to have been incredibly fast for my mum. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Can we expect any hope from the consultant? She is only 64.
Many thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You probably know that drugs such as Aricept can sometimes slow the rate of progress. No one can give definite time scales or success rates though as it is all in the lap of the Gods it seems. Very upsetting for you but take all the help and advice you can get from contacts and my advice is to start a list of everyone you make contact with, their position, phone number etc. by the end of the year you will have met so many authority figures it would make your head spin so it is good to be able to say to yourself who was useful, what they said or did, can you contact them again for advice.

My diary has been invaluable and my list grows bigger every month.

Bluesarah

Apr 13, 2015
Thank you

You probably know that drugs such as Aricept can sometimes slow the rate of progress. No one can give definite time scales or success rates though as it is all in the lap of the Gods it seems. Very upsetting for you but take all the help and advice you can get from contacts and my advice is to start a list of everyone you make contact with, their position, phone number etc. by the end of the year you will have met so many authority figures it would make your head spin so it is good to be able to say to yourself who was useful, what they said or did, can you contact them again for advice.

Thank you for your words of advice. I will speak to my Dad about your suggestions and certainly try and make a note of all the appointments etc that she has. I have a feeling it will be a lot. Thank you for taking the time to respond....means a lot

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Hello bluesarah sorry to hear about your mum . It could be a UTI which would make her more confused then normal . Hoping you get all your answers from consultant soon. Nobody can exactly say how dementia set hold as everyone is different. My husband was diagnosed when he was 60 ! He is 66 in October and we still have a lot of good days :) medication can indeed slow the progress down . Let us know how you are getting on x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124