Advice for travel insurance..

snowman

Aug 9, 2006
Hi friends... I have been reading the site for a while now, since my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers... But this is my first post..:eek:

Dad has always been the quiet silent type, but a couple of months ago mom called and said she wanted to speak with my brother and I about his situation. (it was the first we knew about it). She had been keeping the whole issue from us for approx 12 months. He has now been seen for his memory test and is on some medication with regular reviews. But whenever i see him he seems fine.. no problems. Mom seems to be getting stressed out about the whole situation, with things being missplaced etc.

They both love to travel and we keep saying to them to get away, but with the added issue of dad's illness we are finding it hard to get travel insurance.

Does anyone have any ideas, or companies??

Any help greatly appreciated..

snowman

Helena

May 24, 2006
I suspect your best bet would be to book a SAGA holiday

I think they will insure your Father

Other Insurance Co are unlikely to take on the risk

You need to be careful that all medical diagnosis etc are declared as otherwise you will invalidate any claim

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
There's a thread here about travel insurance
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/Discuss/showthread.php?t=550

From what I can see, age might be a bigger factor - many policies have a blanket exclusion for older people. I believe that age concern have a travel insurance policy designed with older people in mind. Where they are thinking of going would be an issue as well - within the EEC would be better probably due to reciprocal health care agreements.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Try Direct Travel Insurance

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/Index.asp

I got a very good price for my son's holiday this year. He has diabetes and was unfortunate enough to end up in hospital last year as the result of a bad hypo while he was on holiday. Direct Travel Insurance only charged a couple of quid above their normal rate and said they would have covered the diabetes for no extra charge had the incident occurred more than 12 months earlier.

My son is only 18 so that helps as well!

I wouldn't count on reciprocal health care arrangements through an EHIC on its own. From what I have heard it is not like in the UK where you will always be relatively close to an NHS hospital. However, I would get the EHIC card anyway as some insurers insist on it.