Advice for starting a family focus group

JoJo60

Jan 15, 2021
Hi
I am a Deputy Nurse manager in a Nursing Home. I want to start a family focus group, involving the family and friends of the residents.
It will be an informal group, not a platform for complaining but a way of involving family and friends in the care of the resident, offering support and ideas on how we can improve care/activities/social interactions. Develop relationships between care staff and families.
Possibly do some sessions on communication, support, end of life care and coping with grief.
Families/Friends, I would really appreciate your input.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I get a monthly newsletter from
My sister in law’s care home. It gives basic admin info and an attachment showing activities and photographs for the month. It includes new clients and birthdays each month for existing clients. I am named as contact and I pass it on to two other family members and leave it to them to follow up anything relevant.

Especially in current circumstances I find it useful.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think it's a great plan :)

The three things I would want to be covered in such a group are: communication, communication and communication! Relatives are particularly anxious when they cannot visit their loved one and I'm sure would appreciate regular calls from the care home to let them know how things are going. (Yes, I know people can ring up anytime themselves to find out but it would be better if it came from the care home and from someone who actually knows that resident rather than info from a passing carer who just happened to answer the phone.)

Good luk!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I am assuming this is not a way to have a resident engage with their family/friends .... which is a major concern of many members .... but a way to have fanily'friends in contact with each other and staff

Maybe set up a website or closed Facebook group (or whatever 'platforms'/apps are suitable) and offer membership to family and staff, maybe residents too (or have a variety of groups, as family may wish to discuss issues without involving residents)
of course this means having wifi available in the home, and laptops/tablets .... and having someone daily monitoring the site .... or setting specific sessions when staff will be available, the rest of the time users can interact with each other
it would also be a means to pass on useful non-resident specific information from the manager, add helpful links to organisations/ videos/factsheets, include photos etc

maybe back up with a weekly/regular newsletter summarising any key discussions sent out as email and through the paper mail

and there's video conferencing for those who would value that

with dad's home, I'd have welcomed being able to contact through email/media as phoning was hit and miss (understandably) and I never knew what was a good time to call .... the home did have family meetings, maybe every 4 months, but these had to be during the day so working family couldn't attend nor those with other caring responsibilities so often there were few attendees ... there was a paper newsletter but it was not detailed, there's only so much that can be put on couple of pages

whatever you do, actually do it, so maybe don't be ambitious at first ... it's disappointing to have something 'set up' as eg a weekly contact but then have the staff involved unable to attend that day and postpone