Advice for my mum re going out

Spkest

Sep 24, 2014
Hi. I am new to this site and in fact, any chat/blog site. My mum was very recently diagnosed with Alzheimer and now taking Memamtine. Although there has been a rapid decline in her, it seems to have stablised within reason. However, my dad and I are really worried about her going out alone. She has only once gone out and got confused/lost but after a few calls from a shop was able to return home safely - thank goodness. Understandably since this incident, my dad has accompanied my mum everywhere but my mum simply wants to go out alone to browse the shops etc - I think to retain her independence. We are so worried and are thinking of getting a GPS tracker to enable her to regain her independence. We would welcome any advice on this from anyone in the same situation and also recommended GPS devices that anyone is currently using.
Much appreciated in advance!

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Losing your way.

Hi. I am new to this site and in fact, any chat/blog site. My mum was very recently diagnosed with Alzheimer and now taking Memamtine. Although there has been a rapid decline in her, it seems to have stablised within reason. However, my dad and I are really worried about her going out alone. She has only once gone out and got confused/lost but after a few calls from a shop was able to return home safely - thank goodness. Understandably since this incident, my dad has accompanied my mum everywhere but my mum simply wants to go out alone to browse the shops etc - I think to retain her independence. We are so worried and are thinking of getting a GPS tracker to enable her to regain her independence. We would welcome any advice on this from anyone in the same situation and also recommended GPS devices that anyone is currently using.
Much appreciated in advance!
Hello and welcome from me. My wife is the same. I've 'lost' her about 3 times over the last 2 years. She has been 'recovered' once, and found her own way back eventually twice. I try and avoid her going out alone when possible; but at the same time if she just wants to go to church, or a short walk in the vicinity then that's fine; to preserve a smattering of independence. A GPS or any gadget of whatever nature however would be a total waste of time and money. She wouldn't have a clue what it was or how to use it. In your case, only you can really decide if it would be worthwhile. In any case I would try and let your mum go out alone for a short while whilst she can.
Best regards, and keep smiling.
malomm