Advice for asking for donations to Society following bereavement

marty21

May 4, 2021
Hi All,

Very sadly my beloved Dad ❤️ passed away recently after a long battle with both vascular dementia and other physical issues. We would like to ask people to make a donation to the Alzheimer’s Society rather than buy flowers for his funeral. This would be a far more fitting tribute to both him and those battling the condition.

Could anyone please advise on the best way to do this please? We’d like to see who made donations if possible as it will help with the positive thoughts process going forward. I wasn’t sure whether to set up a crowd funding page but i want to ensure as much money goes to the Society as possible.

Any advice much appreciated, ?
Martin ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

I wondered if this link would help /

marty21

May 4, 2021
Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

I wondered if this link would help /

Hi Izzy,

thank you both for your kind words and the link , much appreciated. Perhaps JustGiving is the best way to do this.

Thanks again,
Martin ?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Here in Canada, it is the custom to say in the obituary something along the lines of "in lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate a donation to X or Y charity", picking charities close to the deceased's heart. Or sometimes they will say "to a charity of your choice". The charity will send a note to the family saying that Person A has donated, but not the amount.

I think that works. Do they do the same in the UK?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Here in Canada, it is the custom to say in the obituary something along the lines of "in lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate a donation to X or Y charity", picking charities close to the deceased's heart. Or sometimes they will say "to a charity of your choice". The charity will send a note to the family saying that Person A has donated, but not the amount.

when you put it in the paper of the death, usually say that as well. we did it with my mum and nan. i know you can put boxes up to collect from the attendees in the actual venue but dont know for specific charities.

marty21

May 4, 2021

Thank you @Canadian Joanne , some food for thought ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
At my husband's funeral we accepted donations for a charity related to dementia. There was a donation point at the entrance and exit of the crematorium. As well as the minister announcing this during the service a note was printed on the order of service. I also included it in the announcement in the local newspaper. I was delighted with the amount raised.

marty21

May 4, 2021
Just a thought ? Is it possible to get a official donations box or tim from the Alzheimer’s Society ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @marty21
Maybe call this number

Collecting money with tins
Please contact us on 0330 333 0804 before you embark on fundraising with collection tins.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Usually the Funeral Director arranges all this for you, including the newspaper announcement where it can be mentioned. Now they ask for on line donations through the funeral firm.
For my brother-in-law I just sent a cheque and letter to the small charity the family listed on the Service sheet.