Advice for a useful present for someone with mid-term Alzheimers

Cam

Feb 6, 2006
London
Hi ya all

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest some good ideas for a present for an older person with Alzheimers, which could keep him happy, busy and entertained as well as give my mom who is caring for him at home a bit of a break throughout the day.

My Dad is nearly 80 he has Alzheimers - maybe early mid stages - he lives at
home and is relatively independent (with moms help). He turns 80 in February and we really want to buy him something special, but also something that keeps him occupied. He is very physically fit and always had an incredible intelligence, but no longer has the concentration for things he used to do like writing, the daily crossword etc.

His main passion in life (apart from his adoring family) has always been trout
fishing, he has written a number of books to do with trout fishing. He
enjoys watching DVDs (old TV shows and his favourite singers etc) but increasingly finds plots etc difficult to keep up with & follow. He loves working in his
garden and green house and looking after his chickens.

We thought his big milestone 80th birthday would be a good time to buy him something fantastic, which perhaps would also keep him busy and entertained daily.

I realise this is quite a tough one as peoples enjoyments are very personal, but I thought perhaps there might be a number of people out there with experience of loved ones with Alzheimers in a similar situation.

Any ideas at all would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Cam

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Cam
I cannot think of one BIG thing to buy for Dad,is there a set of fishing DVDs available?
I am sure there would be,there is for every other subject.
Sorry can't be more helpful some one else may be so.
Regards
Norman

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
If your Dad enjoys watching TV would a subscription to one of the cable channels be an idea. We have a basic package but there are still lots of channels, including a fishing programme showing lots of different countries. With history channels, music channels , geographic and I think I,ve seen a quiz channel , it's worth a thought. Hope he enjoys whatever you decide on. Zan

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi Cam,
I know it's difficult when your loved ones are unable to enjoy the things the loved doing, my Mum has the same problem she used to love to read do crosswords and adored the challenge of a game of scrabble.
She is in sheltered accomodation and has a ground floor flat with a tiny patio with a bench and a small patch of garden, she really does enjoy her plants, so how about something for the garden, if your talking big how about a pond with fish, or a gazebo.
I am sure he will have a wonderful birthday and you will find the just the right thing for him.
kaz :)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Cam,

How about some books with lots of old photos and history about the area where your father lives. Also videos of the year that he was born, married and other significant dates in his long term memory?

Maybe not quite grand enough this time around, but they will be appreciated later on.

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
no suggestions, but I know there have been a number of situations where the cable shopping channels have caused major problems, with people buying stuff constantly, so the TV option suggested by zan might need to be approached with great care.

Cam

Feb 6, 2006
London
Thanks to Everyone for their thoughts & suggestions

Hey Guys

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions, I think the Cable Fishing Show is a brilliant idea!!

My father (and mother) live in NZ but I've suggested that my Mom who is caring for dad register with Alzheimers Society UK as everyone seems so kind and supportive, I know she would find it a great support exchanging thoughts ideas etc with you all.

Thanks again for your time it's most appreciated and wonderful to know that there are people out there with such good hearts!!!!

Cam