Advice Desp. Needed!

natalie000

Apr 11, 2008
Bridgend
Hi - I wonder if someone could give me some advice. I have recently discovered that my grandfather has not had a Social Worker for over 2 years since diagnosis. He is under the Mental Health Unit of the Health service but apparently they did not link with Social Services at all - Im sure this is negligent. My nan has been to breaking point with no help.

I am making an official complaint but just need to know that I am complaining about something that is the NHS duty - to inform Social Services et etc.

Any advice would be really gratefully received!

Nat x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Nat,

We have just been through this ourselves. We thought that referral to the Mental Health team would mean an army of Social Workers, CPN's and Occupational Therapists would march up the drive. No such help arrived. We had to scream and shout to get it.

I can't find anything to say that the medical people have to make a referral to Social Services. That's not to say that you shouldn't complain if you feel that the referral should have been made.

Good luck.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I was not referred to Social Services by the hospital either when my husband was an outpatient. I had to phone SS directly myself when I felt I needed help. I had no idea that the hospital had a duty to contact them.

When my husband was discharged from being an inpatient for 9 months, again I contacted the social workers myself after waiting over a week for them to contact me.

I don't know if you have an Admiral Nurse service in your area. They are not available in every area (they jolly well should be!!) The Admiral Nursing Service is a wonderful means of getting support and advice.

It really is a minefield and my advice would be if you feel you need help, get in touch yourself directly with your local Social Services. Good luck in your quest to get help for your grandparents.

xxTinaT

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I only know that as soon as Ron had seen the mental health doctor, a social worker came a calling. We did not ask for one, it just happened.
I would complain.
Barb & Ron

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
I had the same experience as Barb & Ron. I took mum to her GP, he referred her to a consultant and even before she'd seen him I learned that an OT and social worker had been to see her. Maybe it's one of those postcode lottery things and mum happens to live in a good are (Worcestershire). If so, it's totally unfair on those of you who don't get stuff done automatically. You have enough to deal with without having to learn all the intricacies of local government departments as well.

I'd yell long and hard to get all the help you can.

Chris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
. He is under the Mental Health Unit of the Health service but apparently they did not link with Social Services at all

My brother who has a dementia is under the Mental health unit he has a CPN , his CPN tell me he is his social worker also . So his doing the Job of 2 people , my brother had a mental disability before he was told he had a dementia in his 50s . So they keep him under the mental heath services

where my mother who also has a dementia come under the elderly team , so she only has a social worker no CPN .

I think it all down to your post code , in what services you get .

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
As far as I am aware there is no automatic entitlement to the contact of a social worker. The provision varies according to the area in which you live.

disgraceful.

Regards

Margaret

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
I had to insist i had a social worker, if not for my husband who had been suffering from vad for several years at least for me to have a carers assessment.All we had had was a cpn visit about every 6 weeks.

After we were given a social worker and were in the system i did get some help.

Cynthia x x

heyjude

Mar 27, 2008
Similar circumstances

We had a diagnosis in Oct 2006 and nothing from then, no one helped or offered support, in the last few weeks things have really got out of hand and with no help, my mother in law is now in respite care but she has been there for 2 weeks and no one has contacted us, we keep chasing Adult Services who say the file is with the mental health team they never call back.
She has 2 more weks in respite and we are terrified they will just let her out with home care 4 times a day which is not sufficient.
Respite cannot be extended where she is as they are booked up from June 3rd.
If anyone knows how we can escalate things we would appreciate advice.
Respite I thought might give us a rest.........physically yes mentally no, just another set of worries.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

My own thoughts are you should contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). The free helpline number I have is 0800 0272128 (not sure if it is local or not but they should still help if only to provide another number).

This service is to help and support - they will put you on the right track. You have nothing to lose by contacting them.

Hope this helps. Best wishes Jan