Advice at very worried about my parents.

juliejo

Oct 26, 2007
Lincolnshire.
Please can you offer and advice please.
I used to come on here about my dad sometime ago who has multi-infarc dememtia and other health issues but due to my own health (I have Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS) and am very poorly still.)
My mum who is my dads carer 24/7 also had health problems. She has Crohns disease and also early stages of COPD.

Well the past year dad has gone down hill but still knows his immediate family but not much else anymore and needs watching all the time.He often looses his memory for hours on end but mum sits patiently with him and it usually returns.

The past year we have had respite for dad once a week for every four weeks so mum can recharge her batteries and rest as she is shattered by then.
Now yesterday social services have cut dads respite (even though he has deteriorated) to every six weeks and more or less will not budge. All this has made mum very very ill and we don't know where to turn anymore for help.
We know this is all down to costing and that they couldnt care a less about the carer's. I could write a book here on them.!!!

Mum does have a lady who does her shopping and also their laundry and meals on wheels but no-one see's how mum and dad cope when the door closes and mum almost collapses with the strain of things.

Dad is still in our view not bad enough for full time care but we don't think its a long way off.

I feel so helpless and useless as can't help either and this is making my own health worse.
Any advice as to what we could or should do would be most grateful.
Julie.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Juliejo you are not at all useless you are just in a really heartbreaking position.

I am sorry to hear the respite has been cut, it is so unfair. I am afraid I don't know what you can do about this, but you could let social services know that it means you will have to have permanent care sooner than anticipated.

My dad looks after my mum and without his respite care which is two weeks out of every six and a carer two days a week I don't think he would survive, and I mean that.

You are not useless, just to repeat myself, you are caring and loving and bothering to try to do something by posting on here.

love pippa x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Juliejo,

I would not only speak to Social Services but also to your parents' GP and your own GP. Your Mum is entitled to a carer's assessment and, it may be that you are entitled to one too, for caring for your Mum.

It is essential that someone listens. It may be that you will have to get a statement from the care home warden etc. as well as to how it is impacting on your Mum and it might be worth having a word with her/him about it as well.

It won't be easy as I know how debilitating CFS can be, but it might be worth the effort to make things easier for everyone.

(((hugs)))

Mameeskye

juliejo

Oct 26, 2007
Lincolnshire.
Morning.

Thankyou so much for the advice and support both of you. It means so much to talk to someone who understands.

Mum has had a carers assessment and that is what happened. It came back that its every six weeks for respite.

I am ringing social services tomorrow as things can't go on like this at all.
I don't think anyone cares today well not where we live anyway which is in Lincolnshire. The warden is'nt very forthcoming either and their Gp isn't alot of help either.

Will keep in touch and let you know if anything can be done as no-one today should have to live like this.
Thanks again.
Julie.