Advice and guidance

loulou84

Jul 30, 2013
Hi

I hope I'm in the right place, apologies if not, but I'm at the end of my tether and not really sure what to do!

For the past couple of years my grandmother has had issues with her memory, nothing major but myself and the rest of my family suspected this was the onset of dementia, she refused to accept this. Fast forward to the second week in July and my 80 year old nan suffers a stroke.

After being taken to hospital, she appears to be recovering and suffering no apparent permanent damage however the hospital want to keep her in overnight to monitor her (they were planning on discharging her the next day)

The following day the nurses advise my grandad that her condition mentally appears to be rapidly deteriorating and where she should be improving, she is not - they decide to run more tests ..... over the next 48 hours her memory gradually worsens and she becomes confused - constantly calling my grandad complaining about her "hotel" or her "prison" etc etc after much walking off and abusing the nursing staff she attempts to leave and the staff try to stop her- she doesn't like this and become aggressive so they let her leave. The police are called and she eventually arrives home and is returned to the hospital. the hospital confirm a diagnosis of dementia, probably made worse by the stroke and state they are discharging her as "they cannot handle her at the hospital and she is at no risk" they arrange a scan for 2 days later and state her GP will perform regular visits.

Since this (2 weeks ago) the GP has arranged 3 visits and cancelled every single one. Although the scan was completed, there has been no contact from the hospital social services or anyone else. My grandad is a 79 year old, with a bad heart (awaiting a pacemaker) and several other medical conditions, this situation is driving him to an early death. he is completely stressed and emotional and struggling with this whole situation. My nan is aggressive and nasty (not unusual, I understand) and also threatening. Sometimes she recognizes there is a problem and is devastated and 5mins later she refuses to accept anything is wrong. He is on the phone several times a day crying that he doesn't know what to do - when he tries to call the GP, the hospital and anyone else who may help, my nan snatches the phone away.

My mum is doing everything she can to help and support him but isnt sure where to start. The doctors have completely ignored and neglected them both and we are terrified in all honesty that this will kill my grandad.

I apologise for the rant and I know my circumstances aren't unique, but I honestly dont know where to turn or what to do - Im sad about this happening and want to get them all the help and support I can. My nan is on no medication and is awaiting an appointment with a psychologist, in the mean time she is threatening to stab my grandad if he stops her going out and won't talk to anyone about these issues.

Any advice anyone can offer would be so so appreciated, where do I start? Have the hospital done wrong?

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Loulou

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Welcome loulou84. I am very sorry to learn about your granmother and grandad.

If your grandad is threatened he should call 999. The emergency sevices are trained in handling such situations and that would also be a first step towards getting your grandmother the help she needs.

In the meantime, I suggest you/your mum go straight to the GP. I suggest you take with you a copy of a written account - like a log or diary - of the events of recent weeks.

A list of facts: dates/times/events.

Then if there has been a communication breakdown in the system (not unknown) that should help the GP piece everything together - and move forward.

If that does not work - I would go to another GP in the practice.

Keep posting here too - I hope you find the help that I have done on this website