Advice about Social workers

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
My mum has a social worker, it’s the same woman as my mums sister but I am finding her difficult to say the least.
Last week I spoke to her to ask for a assessment on my mums needs, she told me that it would make too much work for her as it wasn’t needed.
Every time I get an email from her it’s all one sided and we go in circles.
This is making me anxious as I feel she doesn’t believe what I say.
Anyone else had issues with SS?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have found that I have to be very assertive with Social Services, and even then I have had to wait for things like an assessment. Maybe it's because of their workload.

If you aren't getting any co-operation, I wonder if your GP may be able to trigger any required action.

Reets

Apr 23, 2021
I had been asking for an assessment for around two years & each time we were allocated a SW, it was never done as they did not deem it necessary. When Dad declined further I demanded the assessment & called the Crisis Team on numerous occasions as I was unable to cope. We finally got allocated to a fantastic SW who has been nothing but supportive, efficient and easily accessible. From the first call with her, to a best interests meeting & MDT has been WEEKS not MONTHS. I think she is a minority in how good she is, but I am so glad that we have her on our side.

Keep calling your Team, ask the GP to assist and any Dementia Doctor you may have. SS are not the easiest to deal with, but once you get a good SW you will see so many positive changes. Good luck x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Friend of mine was a social worker. She left cos she could never get anything done! No money I think. This was about 8 years ago, ant see that anything has improved since.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
If your mum is self funding, my experience is that social services aren't interested. Your mum will still be entitled to a needs assessment though. With my mother in law, I bypassed SS as she was self funding and arranged the care myself

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
If your mum is self funding, my experience is that social services aren't interested. Your mum will still be entitled to a needs assessment though. With my mother in law, I bypassed SS as she was self funding and arranged the care myself
No she won’t be self funding. I think she is just lazy as she puffs a lot when I speak to her!

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
I had been asking for an assessment for around two years & each time we were allocated a SW, it was never done as they did not deem it necessary. When Dad declined further I demanded the assessment & called the Crisis Team on numerous occasions as I was unable to cope. We finally got allocated to a fantastic SW who has been nothing but supportive, efficient and easily accessible. From the first call with her, to a best interests meeting & MDT has been WEEKS not MONTHS. I think she is a minority in how good she is, but I am so glad that we have her on our side.

Keep calling your Team, ask the GP to assist and any Dementia Doctor you may have. SS are not the easiest to deal with, but once you get a good SW you will see so many positive changes. Good luck x
The dementia dr said he is happy to speak with her, I have told her this but this morning she said she couldn’t get hold of him but spoke to the sec regarding the tablets and as the diagnosis was vascular they wouldn’t give tablets but the diagnosis clearly states mixed dementia. To be honest I think she didn’t bother as is making it all up.
What is a MDT?
Thanks for your help

Reets

Apr 23, 2021
The dementia dr said he is happy to speak with her, I have told her this but this morning she said she couldn’t get hold of him but spoke to the sec regarding the tablets and as the diagnosis was vascular they wouldn’t give tablets but the diagnosis clearly states mixed dementia. To be honest I think she didn’t bother as is making it all up.
What is a MDT?
Thanks for your help
A Multi Disciplinary Team. Various professionals attend for best interests and other options such as domiciliary care

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What do you want the Social Worker to do @Eddiep ?
Unfortunately, they have a rather limited repertoire, especially at the moment as a lot of things are still shut - although hopefully they will be opening up soon.. What sort of things do you need help with?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
What is a MDT?
Thanks for your help
My mother in law had mixed dementia and wasn't on any medication either. It's not unusual. Because she had angina, any medication for dementia may have had adverse side effects with her vascular tablets. From reading your post, I'm unclear about what help you would like SS to give. As others have said, they have limited resources, so you need to be clear what any care plan would provide, whether it's personal care or providing meals

Eddiep

Mar 7, 2021
What do you want the Social Worker to do @Eddiep ?
Unfortunately, they have a rather limited repertoire, especially at the moment as a lot of things are still shut - although hopefully they will be opening up soon.. What sort of things do you need help with?
I would like a full care assessment, I have been told by the consultant that Ss are hiding behind covid as they will have had their vaccines.
My biggest concern at the moment is my mum is a carer for her sister who also has dementia .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im not sure what you are thinking of when you say a full care assessment.
When OH had a needs assessment they came and asked me what sort of things he had trouble with, checked I had various aids from the OT (grab rails, bath board, etc) and offered me carers to come in and help him wash and dress and a place at day care.

Is this the sort of thing that would be helpful?