Advanced Dementia another downturn

Sufish

Jan 30, 2022
Went to see mum today she’s gone downhill in the last few weeks Sleeping most of the time I’m there was hallucinating the other day and today She was really distant when I was talking to her she just stared right through me and when I did ask her something it was one word answers
I have read all the advice and what to expect in the end stage but seeing it happening in front of your eyes is completely different I could also go in next time and she could be back on an up again
It’s the emotions that go with it too you prepare yourself for the worst and she is constantly on my mind
She has no quality of life although the care home is really good and she is well looked after
How do you cope with this until the end happens ?
Thanks

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Sufish , I'm in a similar stage with my mother. I don't think she is quite end of life yet, but mum doesn't get out of bed much anymore, doesn't eat a lot and I can't understand what she sys. I just turn up, smile a lot, give her hugs and tell her I love her. That is all I feel I can do. The rest of the time I try not to think about it too much as there is nothing I can actually do to make things better. As long as the care home home is taking good care of her, I feel that is enough.

Sufish

Jan 30, 2022
Hi @Sufish , I'm in a similar stage with my mother. I don't think she is quite end of life yet, but mum doesn't get out of bed much anymore, doesn't eat a lot and I can't understand what she sys. I just turn up, smile a lot, give her hugs and tell her I love her. That is all I feel I can do. The rest of the time I try not to think about it too much as there is nothing I can actually do to make things better. As long as the care home home is taking good care of her, I feel that is enough.
Thank you I think it is that you can’t do anything for them to make it better and you just do not know what’s going through their head A few weeks ago she was shouting at me saying it was me that was keeping her there and she was going to get the police and I did not love her anymore but that’s not my mum at all and I know that’s the Dementia talking and then to go to today where she was different again
Sorry that you are in a similar situation it is a very cruel disease for the person and those who love them ?