Adult social care proposal: A simplified summary

Omar_McDoom

Jan 19, 2022
Hello everyone,

My first post and I wanted to share what I have learned from my recent research into the government's proposal to reform adult social care. It is only my understanding, so please forgive - and correct - any errors.

1. From October 2023, the maximum amount an individual can spend on personal care will be capped at 86,000GBP

2. This refers only to the cost of PERSONAL care e.g. nursing costs. It excludes "daily living costs" e.g. accommodation, food, and utilities. Everyone will continue to be responsible for these daily living costs.

3. It applies to personal care costs in a residential care home AND to personal costs incurred if someone is cared for in their own home (domiciliary care)

4. It will only apply to costs incurred from October 2023 i.e. personal care costs incurred BEFORE Oct 2023 will not count towards the 86,000GBP cap

5. You will first need to be assessed by your local authority as needing personal care before the counting towards the 86,000GBP begins.

6. If you are in a care home, the government will consider that your daily living costs are 200gbp/week. This means the most you will have to pay each year out of your pocket will be 52 x 200 = 10,400GBP. For example, if you are in a residential care home and the total cost is 60,000GBP per year, the personal care cost will be 60,000 - 10,400 i.e. 49,600GBP per year. This amount will count towards your 86,000GBP cap.

7. Top-ups: The local authority will decide how much your personal care should cost each year by setting a budget for you. Any amount spent above this budgetary limit will be paid for by you. For example, if you are in a residential care facility and the Council decides the most it will pay for personal care costs in a residential home is 40,000GBP per year but the personal care costs in the home you have chosen costs 60,000GBP per year, then you must pay the additional 20,000GBP as a top up.

8. Your annual financial contribution towards the 86,000GBP cap is 100% if your assets (including the value of your home) are more than 100,000GBP. If your assets are between 23K and 100K, then you will be pay SOME amount each year towards the 86,000GBP cap. And if your assets are less than 23K, you will pay nothing towards the 86K cap and Council will pay for you 100%.

Best wishes to all those on this forum who are caring for people they love. I was very happy to find this online community.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
unless I’ve missed something, this is the reform that came out a year ago.

1 there will not be a cap on non nursing care spending. So care homes will charge what they want for everything except nursing (and you can bet they will have a very, very narrow definition of “nursing” care). This means you’re paying for Everything they can get away with calling “non nursing” care and they will up their prices to cover their losses.

2 remember if you choose a care home not supported by the LA then your loved one will have to more once you stop self funding.

3 top ups, in the ‘normal sense’ are not paid by the resident But by their family.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

3 top ups, in the ‘normal sense’ are not paid by the resident But by their family.
That's the current state, proposal is to allow first party top ups

Top ups
Those receiving care themselves, or a third party such as a relative, may choose to make additional payments for a preferred choice of accommodation or care arrangement, for example, secure a premium room or furnishings. Government therefore intends to change the regulations to enable everyone receiving local authority financial support to fund such top-ups for their own care. These top-up payments, on top of the cost specified in someone’s personal budget or independent personal budget, will not count towards the cap and will still be payable by the person once the cap has been reached.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t-social-care-charging-reform-further-details .

Omar_McDoom

Jan 19, 2022
1 there will not be a cap on non nursing care spending. So care homes will charge what they want for everything except nursing (and you can bet they will have a very, very narrow definition of “nursing” care). This means you’re paying for Everything they can get away with calling “non nursing” care and they will up their prices to cover their losses.

Cazcaz, is this correct still? I understood from the guidance published a couple of weeks ago (date: Jan 5th 2022) that there would be a cap on non-nursing costs set at a notional 200GBP/week. See this attachment.

Attachments

• Adult social care charging reform_ further details - GOV.UK.pdf
    209.9 KB · Views: 164

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Cazcaz, is this correct still? I understood from the guidance published a couple of weeks ago (date: Jan 5th 2022) that there would be a cap on non-nursing costs set at a notional 200GBP/week. See this attachment.
The daily living costs referred to in the document are NOT CAPPED. DLC is a “notional amount”, ie guess work, on how much a person might be charged.
Eg I live in ”X” town the notional rent for a property is “Y” amount but I might pay “Z”. “Y” is guess work “Z” is reality, you can bet Z will be higher than Y.
But there is no cap. It’s to give people an IDEA of how much they might spend, then again it could be two or three times that amount.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
But there is no cap. It’s to give people an IDEA of how much they might spend, then again it could be two or three times that amount.

Using the method of calculation used in previously proposed plans all caps are somewhat fictitious.

They related to assessed cost of assessed care not what is received and paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455