adult single parent daughters/sons caregivers'

pigletsfriend

Jan 29, 2013
Le10
I am a single mum and 1 14 year old at home and we live with my mum. Now mum is middle stages of alzimers. She's getting hard work. And even though mum has some social care support. I need to no what rights I have as things cost and I don't work being with mum a great deal when her carers not here. She does not no when bedtime is not breakfast time. So we had to for safety take knobs of gas cooker so she does not burn milk etc and hiding kettle at night as she thought on 2 a cations it was ok to put milk in it and tripped all electricity off. I keep pushing social services to help make home safe and extra care. If anyone has had a bad experience with social care and over came it I need urgent advice. I have aspergers and have care myself and need it. So I really need more help till she's at a point of selling her home and finding a nice place for end care. As at mo she's physical able. And I am trying to carry out her wishes and keep her at home till its not practical thanks

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
There are a number of allowances

Attendance Allowance (not means tested) but do get some help filling in the form - have a look at the Government website initially

Carers allowance (for you)
Also on the Government webite (gov.uk)

A carers assessment - which should give you some hours for yourself and your child as respite
Social Services should help you access some day care for your mum which would give you a break too

The above two things are through Social Services Adult Care duty desk

Do you belong to a local carers organisation? They are often really helpful with form filling and accessing different activities. care etc. Often advertised as a Carers Cafe.

I don't know if any of this helps but let us know if you need more info
lots of help and support here - others will be along soon x

pigletsfriend

Jan 29, 2013
Le10
Mum gets DLA age UK came and helped me with forms. I still waiting carers allowence. And the carer assessment I filled in with someone from age UK and been waiting. No I not in no local groups. I live Leicestershire and can drive.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Mum gets DLA age UK came and helped me with forms. I still waiting carers allowence. And the carer assessment I filled in with someone from age UK and been waiting. No I not in no local groups. I live Leicestershire and can drive.

Hello again
If you ask the person from Age uk who helped you fill in the forms what local organisations there are then she/he will be able to help you - they will have a lot of local knowledge and you might find that helpful. They will also know if there are any grants available that might help you.