1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

ADULT PROTECTION PROCEDURE - advice please

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by 117katie, Dec 21, 2007.

1. 117katie

117katie Guest

#1 117katie, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
    .please forget that i ever asked for advice

KATIE

2. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Dear Katie,
    When Peter had lots of bruises on his arm, h said he kept being pinched. All and sundry were called to a meeting and I was not well enough to attend,so my daughter went as Peter is her step-father.
    There is information on the web.
    I wish I could help more.
    Christine

3. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Hmmmm ..... at the risk of sounding very cynical (have experience of Child PP not Adults PP) people are normally 'excluded' either enitrely or because of portions of a Case Conference etc which they are not deemed to be 'privy' (for reasons purely of confidentiality for all parties concerned) to the information being shared amongst 'professionals' ......

That said, the person MUST (surely, please God?) have an advocate - often the social worker for children - Katie - sorry to ask - I think I might know the answer - but are you technically 'next of kin'? Could that be the issue? I will try to find out more ......

Love, Karen, x

4. 117katie

117katie Guest

Yes, Karen, I am her next-of-kin. Had a few positive phone calls this afternoon, which suggest that I may be allowed to attend. They realise that I am only desperately concerned that the right information is passed on, if only so that others are protected in the future.

A lot of the paperwork/info that I have seen so far - and there is more to come to me - contains gross errors, some of which may have contributed to the sad consequences for my aunt. I understand the need for confidentiality, but if they are unaware of those errors, then the picture presented will be distorted. I am given to understand that if my aunt were able to attend, then she would be allowed to with a relative/supporter/carer/advocate or other closely interested party being present. Not possible though, because she is critically ill.

So if you have any sources of info that may be able to shed light further, it would be welcome.

THANKS MUCHLY!

KATIE

5. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
  6. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
  7. 117katie

117katie Guest

Thanks, Chip, I'll follow that one up tomorrow when I may be a little more refreshed!

Thanks a lot for the link.

Katie

8. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Let us no how you get on. I've just read it. Think you have rights.