Adult nappies

faz42

May 23, 2016
Hi, this might sound a bit heartless or tight but does anyone know if there's any funds or help for buying adult nappies?

My mother in law is currently in hospital after a care home fall and has become doubly incontinent. The pads they use at the hospital are no use as she gets worked up and sticks her hand down them. As such we have had to start buying adult nappies but the cost is mounting up on top of hospital costs, new clothes etc.

I've just seen someone on fB whose just had a child saying they can get lactose free milk on prescription so was wondering if there's some equivalent for older people as children get everything and dementia is so under funded.

Thanks in advance.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes. Get a referral to the Continence Service - they should provide a number of pads for free. A warning though - you might not get the quantity or strength you need or want. It depends on their budget and policy. We can have 4 nappy style pads or 2 pull-ups a day, in strength "Normal". Other councils will offer more or maybe even less. I buy in additional pull-ups, and yes, they are expensive. If she is in receipt of Attendance Allowance, you could use that money towards some? It should come from her money anyway, not from yours. I'm wondering though why the care home doesn't provide any?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I was given a few 'wrap rounds' from continence clinic to try, mainly because of mum's obsession to remove pull ups, but they were not very absorbent. So they are available on the nhs, but possible that not all authorities use them.

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
Hi, this might sound a bit heartless or tight but does anyone know if there's any funds or help for buying adult nappies?

My mother in law is currently in hospital after a care home fall and has become doubly incontinent. The pads they use at the hospital are no use as she gets worked up and sticks her hand down them. As such we have had to start buying adult nappies but the cost is mounting up on top of hospital costs, new clothes etc.

I've just seen someone on fB whose just had a child saying they can get lactose free milk on prescription so was wondering if there's some equivalent for older people as children get everything and dementia is so under funded.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Faz
I used to buy pads from supermarket for my mil for a few years. Trust me I know how expensive it is. Until some random person advised I can go to the gp and they will refer me to the district nurses ....Anyway few weeks later we managed to get the Abena pull ups for her. We get them every 6 weeks and they're amazing. Mil did not like to wear pads and kept pulling them out and leaving them for my kids to pick up in all places.
Due to alzheimers she was lucky to be given pull ups instead of the proper nappie. Which would have been impossible to put on her as she is still very active and mobile.
Anyway it took time but she is now used to the pull ups and has stopped asking for normal undies.

Definitely speak to the gp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app

faz42

May 23, 2016
She is only 59 so she doesn't get attention dance allowance. She doesn't get DLA or pip as the council decided to joint fund with the NHS and this means they don't pay DLA or pip. She gets ESA but this is eaten up by the bills on the house that is left which isn't taken into consideration by anyone and top up fees etc.

We pay for everything for her from our own pocket. It's just so annoying that there's no help as such for those with early onset dementia who have bills etc that eat their benefits that can't be changed.

faz42

May 23, 2016
The care home don't supply because she is in hospital and being the caring company they are (some of you will get the company from that) the day she fell and broke her hip they made her homeless by saying they could not meet her needs and she couldn't come back yet they still expect 28 days of payments from the council and top up fees even though her room was full the next weekend!

Thanks everyone

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
The care home don't supply because she is in hospital and being the caring company they are (some of you will get the company from that) the day she fell and broke her hip they made her homeless by saying they could not meet her needs and she couldn't come back yet they still expect 28 days of payments from the council and top up fees even though her room was full the next weekend!

Thanks everyone
Hi Faz
To be very honest you guys have a very long road ahead of you. Your mil is quite young and this is only the beginning. I suggest you still try your luck with the gp. They will fob you off but you have to keep at it. Get a social worker involved. I noticed that I got more support having more professionals involved. The social worker put pressure on the district nurses and so did the gp.
I dont remember being asked about mils benefits etc at any time when trying to get the pads.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app