1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The company said a “new analysis of a larger dataset” showed that the drug, aducanumab, reduced clinical decline in patients with early Alzheimer’s disease on multiple measures of the drug’s effectiveness. That directly contradicts a decision in March to halt studies of the therapy based on the recommendations of an independent monitoring board that was charged with protecting patients in the study.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/22/biogen-to-submit-aducanumab/

2. Andrew_McP

Andrew_McP Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    South Northwest
    #2 Andrew_McP, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    My data analysis skills these days extend only as far as counting how many biscuits I've eaten today (lots), comparing it to how many I should have eaten (none), and crying into my pillow. But my bet is that if this 'breakthrough' wasn't apparent in the initial data then it's marginal at best and they're trying to wring some return out of their investment.

There must be some (statistical!) benefit, but that can mean a lot of things in the hands of publicists. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it's a big enough benefit for NICE to eventually roll this drug out to the general public.

I'm a lifelong cynic though. Hopefully an optimist will be along any moment now to put a better spin on it. :) But dementia does tend to laugh in the face of optimists. A degree of cynicism is, sadly, justified.

3. Roseleigh

Roseleigh Registered User

Dec 26, 2016
    I was very interested in this drug trial for husband but by time it was rolled out at a hospital which was doable for me he was already too far gone sadly.
    I'd encourage ppl to particpate in trials though as it not only may benefit your PWD but the next generation , your children who may have a genetic susceptibility.

4. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    Still think turmeric is a possible treatment ! But hey as it’s natural there isn’t a lot of profit in it for the pharmaceutical industries

Definitely lower rates in those countries where turmeric is used widely in cooking.

curry anyone? Or even piccalilli??

5. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't know about definitely lower rates in countries where turmeric is widely used, as these countries tend to have lower life expectancies. Since age is the strongest known factor for developing Alzheimer's, the use of turmeric may not necessarily apply.

Of course, having a healthy lifestyle i.e not smoking, lowering cholesterol, controlling diabetes, high blood pressure and so on are considered modifiable factors in reducing one's chances of developing AD at an earlier age. However, there is nothing that can be done about aging. it is a non-modifiable factor and the greatest.

6. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    Australian scientists are testing a turmeric based drug with positive results- what they are testing it on I missed but I’ve heard about turmeric before.

7. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  8. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
  9. Louise7

Louise7 Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Aducanumab?? You'd think they might have come up with a name that was a little easier to pronounce at the GP's and chemist. Sounds like something you'd hear on Rentaghost. o_O

10. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    Hilarious! I’d forgotten rent a ghost! :rolleyes:

11. Louise7

Louise7 Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    This will take you back:

12. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire