Adenbrookes score meaning

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
Hi everyone
I'm in the process of getting my mum diagnosed.
I've been told she scored 35/100 in the adenbrookes test which seems very low.
We are waiting for her scan results and an appointment for confirmation of diagnosis.
I'm so stressed and upset, and am trying not to predict the future

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello Bedllington,
I am in the same position as you. Not sure what my mum's memory test score was though but we get the results of that and her brain scan in 2 days time and I'm dreading it, even though her behaviour is crazy and we are sure something is clearly very wrong, it will be so weird to actually KNOW it too.
We can't predict the future and sometimes reading other posts on here give me hope and sometimes I find them horrifying and it makes me scared too. But what can we do? We have to be strong, listen to advice and get the best help that we can for our mothers.
Take care and make the most of the good days, have some laughs with your mum if you can and try and ignore the mad things. I just walked past my mum's bedroom, her door was open, and she was stark naked on the bed! So glad it wasn't my husband who walked past!
Keep us posted on how your mum gets on, as I will. Big hugs x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi Bedllington and welcome to Talking Point. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the test you refer to but wanted to assure you that there will be members who will be able to explain what this score might mean.
It is worth remembering that the diagnosis will be made on as much evidence as possible and will not be based solely on this test.
That's good advice from Cazzita BTW.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Bedlington, welcome to TP
The issue with any test that scores over a number of areas and then averages out the score really doesn't tell you a lot in my view.
Some people have fantastic memories of the past but no idea what they had for dinner half an hour earlier, for some it's the other way round. Someone could score very highly if speech and comprehension but not be able to remember their own name.
Results like this don't tell you what a person is going to be like if you meet them, some of the residents in the nursing home can tell you their life story from day one but don't remember their children's name.
The score doesn't predict the future nor do scans they just try to quantify the condition but don't really tell you anything useful in a way that can actually help you in my view.
K

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone
I'm in the process of getting my mum diagnosed.
I've been told she scored 35/100 in the adenbrookes test which seems very low.
We are waiting for her scan results and an appointment for confirmation of diagnosis.
I'm so stressed and upset, and am trying not to predict the future

I'm not sure of the exact information here but I think there's a cut off point where a certain score means that dementia may be present. My MIL scored 59 out of 100 and coupled with a CT scan she was diagnosed with mixed dementia. But as others have said there may be other tests available to give a more accurate picture.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Bedllington, welcome to TP. I'm sure you will find support here.

The cut off score in that test is 88 and whilst the test is widely used some web sites will say it does have its weaknesses. The test covers a number of things so the interpretation may be more complex than a raw score. The scans are an important tool in diagnosis so that is why they are also done. I know it's easy to tell you not to panic but that is the best one can say.

When things are made clear the members of the forum will be here to answer any questions or give advice.

If it would help you to talk to one of the experts on the help line the details are

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
Hello Bedllington,
I am in the same position as you. Not sure what my mum's memory test score was though but we get the results of that and her brain scan in 2 days time and I'm dreading it, even though her behaviour is crazy and we are sure something is clearly very wrong, it will be so weird to actually KNOW it too.
We can't predict the future and sometimes reading other posts on here give me hope and sometimes I find them horrifying and it makes me scared too. But what can we do? We have to be strong, listen to advice and get the best help that we can for our mothers.
Take care and make the most of the good days, have some laughs with your mum if you can and try and ignore the mad things. I just walked past my mum's bedroom, her door was open, and she was stark naked on the bed! So glad it wasn't my husband who walked past!
Hello Bedllington,
Thank you for your kind words, you've described how I feel.... actually knowing what's wrong is really scary. But we don't get a choice in this journey and can only do our best for our mum's and ourselves. I'm just introducing some home help through age UK. Befriending service, and cleaning. I'm going to slowly increase the amount of days she comes and try to keep mum busy with little trips out. One day at a time - big hugs to you too xx

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
My husband scored 63/100 on the Addenbrookes test 2 years ago. The doc at the memory clinic said it wasn’t really worth having a scan as this score definitely meant he had AD. I should have insisted but it wasn’t a good moment. Am wondering if it would be possible or even of any use to have a scan now. Because I now have so little faith in the memory clinic that I wonder if he has mixed dementia - I wish I’d been on this forum then. I would have learnt so much and asked more questions st the time.

Kazziek

Jul 22, 2018
Hi Bedlington, welcome to TP
The issue with any test that scores over a number of areas and then averages out the score really doesn't tell you a lot in my view.
Some people have fantastic memories of the past but no idea what they had for dinner half an hour earlier, for some it's the other way round. Someone could score very highly if speech and comprehension but not be able to remember their own name.
Results like this don't tell you what a person is going to be like if you meet them, some of the residents in the nursing home can tell you their life story from day one but don't remember their children's name.
The score doesn't predict the future nor do scans they just try to quantify the condition but don't really tell you anything useful in a way that can actually help you in my view.
K

Kazziek

Jul 22, 2018
My dad has been recently diagnosed and had a score of 66/100 but I was told this score can be misleading as he was poor in some areas such as missing words which bumps the score up but scored well in other areas. At present my dad functions fairly well on a day to day basis but has little to no understanding of everyday items and is getting worse at being able to follow instructions or make decisions. We have a sign post meeting tomorrow which will hopefully lead to support and guidance but I worry he will ignore it as he laughs and says no whenever I try to talk about it .

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Thank you for your kind words, you've described how I feel.... actually knowing what's wrong is really scary. But we don't get a choice in this journey and can only do our best for our mum's and ourselves. I'm just introducing some home help through age UK. Befriending service, and cleaning. I'm going to slowly increase the amount of days she comes and try to keep mum busy with little trips out. One day at a time - big hugs to you too xx

@Bedllington , thanks so much. I will contact Age UK after the results tomorrow and start that ball rolling too. Mum needs a cleaner and someone to take her for a walk, shopping etc and befriending. Aren't these people great who do this? Unfortunately, some of us have to work but fortunately, I am a teacher, so have 6 weeks off now! Take care and have a good day x

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
@Bedllington , thanks so much. I will contact Age UK after the results tomorrow and start that ball rolling too. Mum needs a cleaner and someone to take her for a walk, shopping etc and befriending. Aren't these people great who do this? Unfortunately, some of us have to work but fortunately, I am a teacher, so have 6 weeks off now! Take care and have a good day x

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
We got mum's diagnosis of AD :( I obviously knew that she wasn't well, but it seems to make it more 'real' when its given a name.
Mum was given a print out explaining what it means - which went into a lot of detail. She has written on it.. not me, I don't have this etc. Its so sad as she says she doesn't feel ill and there's nothing wrong with her.
Shes also really angry that she isn't allowed to drive any more, and that she has (a lovely) lady come round twice a week to help. (Even though she really enjoys it when Karen comes - she says ... why does she come, I don't need any help) But then rings me if no ones been round to see her, saying ... I've not seen anyone today or been anywhere, feeling very sorry for herself. This really upsets me, but also makes me feel as though its my responsibility to be her 'entertainment manager'. So many mixed emotions, which generally end up in me feeling guilty - its a no win situation.
I'm sure many of you must have similar feelings - arrrrgghgghhhhhhh :eek:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @Bedllington, I'm sorry that you did get that diagnosis. Even though you knew something was wrong you may still suffer a grief response called anticipatory grief as that is so common and it may explain something of what you are feeling.

What you describe is very common so keep posting with any questions or just to join threads as you will get understanding and support here.

Do have a good read around the site. I found that a great place to start, as it gives details about the disease, putting things like POA, Wills etc in place etc., etc., is the publications list and you can find that with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
Thought id update things... mum has now accepted the 'lovely lady' that takes her out . She takes her out four times a week, shopping, garden centres, lunch etc. Mum now looks forward to her outings and even asks if shes coming on the three days 'off' . Im so pleased that we have git thus far with acceptance, it makes it a little easier to introduce new people and new things. Even tho mum says shes fine and has not gitca problem with her brain! I still feel very stressed and feel as though im greiving for mum as i loose a liitle more of her. Alongside mum, my husband has multiple sclerosis, and i feel like running away quite regularly. He also thinks ges not that bad, but there are many similarities bewteen mum and husband. Ive been v stressed with it all recently and now have a bought of vertigo. I see a counsellor and let off steam through talking, but very often feel that thers no way out and that the futures bleak. I have two grown up children, and my daughter is so supportive and really tries to point out the positives in my life..... just feeling sorry for myself today

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Bedlington,

I take my hat off to you dealing with your mum and your husband. First of all do you also get carers in for your husband because I'm worried that you are running yourself into the ground. Secondly as far as your mum is concerned when I was caring for dad I used to tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I am also aware that you could be new to Talking Point so I want to suggest that if you notice a sudden deterioration in your mother's condition then you need to take her straight to the doctor in case she has a urine infection.

I am also pleased that you are getting help from your daughters. I know how you feel about gradually losing your mum as I am going through the same thing with dad.

Hugs

MaNaAk

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
Dear Bedlington,

I take my hat off to you dealing with your mum and your husband. First of all do you also get carers in for your husband because I'm worried that you are running yourself into the ground. Secondly as far as your mum is concerned when I was caring for dad I used to tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I am also aware that you could be new to Talking Point so I want to suggest that if you notice a sudden deterioration in your mother's condition then you need to take her straight to the doctor in case she has a urine infection.

I am also pleased that you are getting help from your daughters. I know how you feel about gradually losing your mum as I am going through the same thing with dad.

Hugs

MaNaAk

Bedllington

Jul 22, 2018
Hi MaNaArk, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Yes, i receice carers allowance for my husband. And have had advice on getting council tax reduction etc. I keeo busy as a way of coping, but then very often become ill due to overdoing it. Mum called at 6.30 this morning asking if 'the Americans had gone '. Absolutely no idea what she meant and told her i was asleep and fine. Three more calls since then about the heating... too hot... too cold etc. Its so wearing, plus all the emotions that go alongside it all. Im going to get meals on wheels organised as mum isn't eating properly. See if i can talk her into it... wish me luck!