Address after moving to care home

purpledaffodil

Dec 16, 2021
What have others done about address details for things like bank accounts etc after moving to a care home?

The staff open Mum’s post for her, as she’s not able to do it herself. Mostly it’s cards from friends which is fine.

But When my sister did change of address stuff lots of banks and places insisted on having Mum’s new address (care home) and not just my sister’s for correspondence. Now the bank have sent Mum a debit card to the home. Thankfully the staff are great and trustworthy and locked it up in the office and gave it to me on my next visit. I really don’t want financial stuff being sent to her there, and the staff reading it - stuff like statements and things. It just doesn’t seem safe.

Can we insist the bank use our address instead. My sister and I have both health and finance POA, and have registered Mum’s lack of capacity with OPG

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Will the bank accept ?
Registered address - care home
Address for correspondence - your address

EmilyS

May 4, 2022
Hello Purpledaffodil

I have POA and use my own address for all of Mum’s correspondence and I assume you would be able to do the same in the UK (I’m in Australia).

I did provide the care home address to one service provider and they send mail there but in hindsight, this wasn’t the best decision.

When it comes to bank statements etc, yes, definitely have it sent to your address :)

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
What have others done about address details for things like bank accounts etc after moving to a care home?

The staff open Mum’s post for her, as she’s not able to do it herself. Mostly it’s cards from friends which is fine.

But When my sister did change of address stuff lots of banks and places insisted on having Mum’s new address (care home) and not just my sister’s for correspondence. Now the bank have sent Mum a debit card to the home. Thankfully the staff are great and trustworthy and locked it up in the office and gave it to me on my next visit. I really don’t want financial stuff being sent to her there, and the staff reading it - stuff like statements and things. It just doesn’t seem safe.

Can we insist the bank use our address instead. My sister and I have both health and finance POA, and have registered Mum’s lack of capacity with OPG
If you have POA for finances, you can redirect mail to you . When my mother in law was in care, everything came to us

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Have you registered the POA with the bank?
If you do this then all correspondence etc is sent to the POA.

Its good that you have POA and it is registered with the OPG, but you also have to register it with individual organisations

purpledaffodil

Dec 16, 2021
Thanks everyone. Sounds like using your own POA address is very standard. My sister handled all the change of address. I’ll talk to her about recontacting the bank and making sure nothing is sent to the care home.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Would it be best to cancel your mums card as she won’t be using it now she’s in a care home. As POA I had a debit card for mums account but rarely used it as did all transactions online. I might have bought something for mum using my credit card and then done a bank transfer to repay myself.

Also I stopped all statements etc and went paperless so there was no correspondence at all.

Once mum moved into her care home I had all her post redirected to my address as initially her house was empty and then it was rented so obviously I did not want post going there. I could then contact the various companies to notify them of the change of address, using my address for future correspondence.