ADDENBROOKE’S COGNITIVE EXAMINATION – ACE-III test - scores?

Thorpeyam

Jun 16, 2022
Hello everyone...My husband had a MMSE test last October and his score was 18/30. He then had an ADDENBROOKE’S COGNITIVE EXAMINATION – ACE-III test in January scoring 85/100, he has been for a brain scan and also had a dye put into his brain. Today he went for a 2nd ADDENBROOKE’S COGNITIVE EXAMINATION – ACE-III test (6 months after his 1st) and scored 75/100 - a loss of 10 points in 6 months... We are not due to see a consultant 'til the end of July...we are very frightened! Is there anyone on here who can share their history/ explain what these scores mean? He is 51 and naturally very worried. Thank you in advance

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
Hello @Thorpeyam and welcome. How very worrying and frightening for you both. However, the scores can vary a little with circumstance. For example: level of anxiety on the day (likely to be higher the second time around, knowing all was not perfect the first time); familiarity and comfort with the place the test was performed (at home, or in a strange clinic); time of day (if your husband was tired later in the day); affects of different examiners in terms of their approach to your husband (feeling rushed, pressured etc). I'm not saying all is well unfortunately, but don't get too hung up on the scores for now.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband actually got a better score the year after diagnosis than the year he was diagnosed. the first was in a memory clinic and the other was at home so maybe he was more relaxed than the year before. the first time was in month of march when his COPD is more of a problem where as the second was in the summer where its warmer and COPD is not so bad. try not to worry too much and wait for the appointment and go from there.

Thorpeyam

Jun 16, 2022
Hello everyone...My husband had a MMSE test last October and his score was 18/30. He then had an ADDENBROOKE’S COGNITIVE EXAMINATION – ACE-III test in January scoring 85/100, he has been for a brain scan and also had a dye put into his brain. Today he went for a 2nd ADDENBROOKE’S COGNITIVE EXAMINATION – ACE-III test (6 months after his 1st) and scored 75/100 - a loss of 10 points in 6 months... We are not due to see a consultant 'til the end of July...we are very frightened! Is there anyone on here who can share their history/ explain what these scores mean? He is 51 and naturally very worried. Thank you in advance
Many thanks that is re assuring

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
No one has ever told us what any of my husbands scores have been, in fact it feels very much like the just ignore us, other than handing out leaflets. I know how worrying the waiting can be, my husband was diagnosed inFebruary 2018 at Sheffield (we live Lincs.) with Post Cortical Atrophy, and referred back to our GP, it was late August before we got diagnosis from Lincoln and him started on medication, which initially made a big improvement. I’m glad you’ve found this site, I have had more help, advice and support here than from any official channels. Many many thanks to everyone.

Thorpeyam

Jun 16, 2022
No one has ever told us what any of my husbands scores have been, in fact it feels very much like the just ignore us, other than handing out leaflets. I know how worrying the waiting can be, my husband was diagnosed inFebruary 2018 at Sheffield (we live Lincs.) with Post Cortical Atrophy, and referred back to our GP, it was late August before we got diagnosis from Lincoln and him started on medication, which initially made a big improvement. I’m glad you’ve found this site, I have had more help, advice and support here than from any official channels. Many many thanks to everyone.
Many thanks for your support

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
my husband was diagnosed inFebruary 2018 at Sheffield (we live Lincs.) with Post Cortical Atrophy, and referred back to our GP, it was late August before we got diagnosis from Lincoln and him started on medication, which initially made a big improvement.
Sorry to derail but do you mind me asking how long the improvement lasted?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Sorry to derail but do you mind me asking how long the improvement lasted?
In some areas it still is 4 years later nearly his speech and word finding capacity is still better than it was before donepezil. His short term memory also improved noticeably, though worse now, his memory has short term memory has seriously diminished the last 6 months, but I think improvement maybe for about 2 years. It did not improve his sight or mid or long term memory. I think his capacity to learn new skills improved, eg how to use new hot water dispenser, (he can’t safely use a kettle), also lawnmower; still took ages though. However, learning might be due to the fact that he has greater acceptance, but with that has come stubbornness, he will ‘try’ for ages.