AD;Not just a mental health disease

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Michael

Of course you're entitled to use whatever language you like to describe your circumstances, and I accept that you weren't describing John. It hit a nerve, that's all. John is a very nice man -- in a way that makes life easier for me, and I'm grateful.

But on the other hand it makes his illness more poignant. So many people are having to cope with horrific situations, and I wonder how much longer his 'niceness' can last.

'Normal' for me is doing all the things we have always done, for as long as possible, while being aware that the posssibilities are narrowing year by year.

He's not ga ga, he's a very intelligent man (he was an architect), who sadly has lost the ability to communicate. And how frustrating is that?

Love,

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has changed also but not so much to look at. Since she's now in a wheelchair, you can't see the swaying, shuffling, hesitant walk anymore. She still looks beautiful but she does have that blank expression most of the time now. Once in a while she'll giggle and smile and be my mother again.

Joanne

panda

Apr 16, 2006
Surrey
How come my mum can look in the mirror and not notice the change in herself,but when shown a recent photograph of my daughter and her on her birthday she said I look like a lost soul. I found that very strange

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I look like a lost soul

Maybe panda she can feel more , then relate to what she see in the mirrow or photo . Just a thought , so she telling you what she is feeling not what she is seeing , if you get my point

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
of course, it depends whether "Ga-Ga" is a word in one's 'normal' vocabulary for people who are unwell. ;)

I avoid any of these as 'abnormal' in my own vocab but these things are, as with everything, personal choice.

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Ron is 6' and after serving in the RAF used to walk as straight as a ramrod, so sad now to seem to have lost about 6" and shuffles his feet as he walks but I will never stop taking photo's of him as one day they will be all I have left.
At the moment the latest ones sit in my mobile[ haven't found out how to dowload them yet]
Had a bit of a weep on Sunday as it was such a gorgeous day and we would have been miles away in the car having a picnic. Happy days!!
love Aileen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Aileen,
You struck a chord in your post.
It`s not always about how they look or even how they are, but about what we could be doing.
With love

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti