AD Meetings

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
The home where mum is, held a meeting the other night which was hosted by the Alzheimer’s Society, and I have to say that it was excellent. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize it was Part 2!! (Never saw any notices about the first meeting)

It was all about how to deal with people with Alzheimer’s and all the staff at the home had already attended. It really made me understand how mum is feeling and I only wish I’d gone to part 1 as well.

They’d discussed the ‘Wobbly Bookcase’ in part I and I can only assume that he was comparing people with AD with a wobbly bookcase – every now and again a book would fall out and all that information would be lost forever.

He also said that when AD sufferers talk about their mums, it’s because they want to be loved, and when they talk about going home, it’s because they want to feel safe.

It really opened my eyes, and if anyone gets the opportunity to go to something like this, I’d definitely recommend it.

Libs

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Libby, glad that you got such a positive feedback.

My turning point in understanding Lionels behaviour came after I attendend a days seminar hosted by Dr. Graham Stokes. (He has written a couple of books, but they are aimed at proffessionel carers)., although I have read them

He spoke such 'common sense' and made you see into their world. My life, and insight, changed from then on. I have been able to attend a couple of his lectures, through our local A.S. and they have made such a difference.