Actual almost happy christmas

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Mum moved to a care home in april after being in hospital from new years day with 999 ambulance.

Anyway. The last 2 christmases mum has went into a full meltdown and stayed in bed and missed christmas with her family. It basically wasted my christmas wondering what was going to happen.

This year the carers made her get up and dressed. We went to ch and swapped gifts. She was not happy but also not unhappy. Proof for me that ch is making a real difference.

To all those dreading a ch move, it CAN work. Some homes are excellent. Look fir what matters - smiles, laughter, tough love. Our ch is a bit shabby and stuff gets lost but all the staff are wonderful. Love quilty

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Glad things were better Quilty. Hope things can improve even further. My William was a lot better - more settled and relaxed - in his nursing home than he had been for quite a while here at home too. I think he felt a lot more secure, with the uniformed staff always on hand to help him, and some of the staff always around, even if he got up and went wandering in the night. Maybe that sense of security is helping your mum too.

elizabet

Mar 26, 2013
Southampton
Although feeling I had betrayed my Mum by getting her into a care home by being rather economical with the truth it was the best thing for her when it became obvious to everyone, except mum that she could no longer manage to look after herself in her own house. Once in she thrived and I was able to enjoy seeing her there, knowing she was safe and secure, had regular meals and her various pills.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Another one here whose mum has thrived in her CH
It sounds as though your mums CH is much like my mums CH too.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Same for us, too. This is MIL's third Christmas in her CH and she's getting quite poorly, but the staff are wonderful with all the residents and do their best to make sure they have a nice day.