Activities for dementia

abbiekennard

Feb 10, 2019
Good Morning,

I got a job as an activities coordinator and care assistant a month ago. This is my first time in care and I am 20 years old. The care part of my job is going really well and i feel like im learning each time i am on the job and i am treated as part of the team. However, when it comes to activities, it is not going very well.

We are a team of three but all work different days, one has been here for over 16 years so has a lot of experience. Now when it comes to activities, i'd like to say that i do fairly well when it comes to one to one activities as I have chats with them, read books and play games etc. But soon as it comes to group activities i get stumped. Due to have a team working the other days I am not in, no planning is put in place. So any activities i suggest, they have done recently. We have a small budget but i have not really been told about this. I dont know how to motivate the residents and I am getting worried because all senior staff ask me what is the plan and ive got nothing/. Any ideas i have just get batted away. I feel like i cant do what i want and even so i still get judged. The care staff are frowned apon for helping the activity staff. I shadowed my team for 4 shifts but they were no help, as on her shifts, she brings people in, yet on my days, i have no access to this and get moaned at because i cant do activities.

Any ideas would help. Its getting to that point already where i think i will switch to just care but i know activities coordinator looks better on an application. And honestly the shifts are shorter so i get to leave early.
Thank you to everyone that responses.

Rokafella

Feb 10, 2019
My Dad is in a nursing home for vascular dementia. He doesn’t want to interact with a group. He likes one in one but he takes so long to get up from bed that I don’t think the staff have time for him. He is just sleeping for hours. He is eating a bit and he reads but he’s now saying he doesn’t know why he’s there and he wants to go home. It’s breaking my heart. I think one on one activities are definitely the best for my dad and I’m going to suggest this in his gone. He likes playing games and talking with people who don’t have dementia but he won’t wear his hearing aids so you have to write things down for him to understand. I think he is depressed but the nurses don’t agree with me. Some of them don’t have enough patience to deal with my dad and so I think he’s just being ignored. They make sure he is fed and watered but that’s about it. I would love him to have some more one to one.
I would say try one to one is vital for deme tia patients. They are all unique and individuals with different needs and likes. I am finding it all very upsetting and wishing I could do more. It’s pretty unbearable when he says he wants to go home.
Sorry I think I’m venting!!
Thank you for the work you do. It is invaluable!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I never understand why the activities coordinator is considered a separate entity to the other staff. How can you effectively do your job if the care staff etc don't communicate with you, and you don't get any pointers as to budget or what the residents are like? In my OH's Day Centre everyone pulled together - the staff did both personal care and activities, and there was a weekly plan on the board for everyone to see.
Maybe speak to management and voice your concerns and ask for guidance? IMHO it's not ok that a 20 year old is thrown into such an important job with nothing but a sink or swim mentality.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Good Morning,

I got a job as an activities coordinator and care assistant a month ago. This is my first time in care and I am 20 years old. The care part of my job is going really well and i feel like im learning each time i am on the job and i am treated as part of the team. However, when it comes to activities, it is not going very well.

We are a team of three but all work different days, one has been here for over 16 years so has a lot of experience. Now when it comes to activities, i'd like to say that i do fairly well when it comes to one to one activities as I have chats with them, read books and play games etc. But soon as it comes to group activities i get stumped. Due to have a team working the other days I am not in, no planning is put in place. So any activities i suggest, they have done recently. We have a small budget but i have not really been told about this. I dont know how to motivate the residents and I am getting worried because all senior staff ask me what is the plan and ive got nothing/. Any ideas i have just get batted away. I feel like i cant do what i want and even so i still get judged. The care staff are frowned apon for helping the activity staff. I shadowed my team for 4 shifts but they were no help, as on her shifts, she brings people in, yet on my days, i have no access to this and get moaned at because i cant do activities.

Any ideas would help. Its getting to that point already where i think i will switch to just care but i know activities coordinator looks better on an application. And honestly the shifts are shorter so i get to leave early.
Thank you to everyone that responses.
I understand, sweetheart, and it is a wonderful, vital job you do. My husband's nursing home (which won the first place award this year) has two activity girls, they overlap some days but are often on their own - so they do group activities on their own.
The activities can be done alone, so long as the care staff help you with things like toileting.
Please go to my thread in I have a partner with dementia: Please don't throw me away. In this I usually set out what has been the activity for the day and how it was received and how the residents were motivated. He has been there for a year now, so there are a lot of activities! I think you will find this absolutely bursting with ideas for group activities that you can do alone with minimum budget. Just a few props.
Come back to me if you would like any futher input. I am now an official volunteer at my husband's home, working with both the care and activity staff.
warmest, Kindred.

MissMitten21

Feb 4, 2021
Hi all!

First Post here. I am an activities co ordinator and I am very new to the job. I can tell you now that activities CO are lower down the rung when it comes to the hierarchy of staff (in my experience) I am the only one in my home and I work Mon to Fri. Its extremely difficult come up with a month's worth of activities in advance. Taking all the residents needs into account and with none of the other carers helping you when it comes to doing said activities. I have 0 care training and feel uncomfortable when I am left with a group of residents. The carers all seem to dissappear out of sight when I am doing an activity. When I am asked what I am doing for the day I get a look of "oh..... you're doing.... that?" And it makes me feel so unworthy of being there. I'm not going to lie i have cried multiple times about it as all I want to do is help but I get 0 support from staff and management alike. Anyone with any pointers would be appreciated.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Welcome!
use the search bar above:
‘care home activities’
‘dementia activities ‘
’activities’
Get used to no support, ‘ hippo skin’ is what you need!
Do what they do on cruise ships, produce a monthly plan of activities that sound great, but actually fail to deliver!
Never disclose your concerns to your colleagues! Just look confident!
I used to do a huge physio class, with very little idea what I was doing, but for some reason it was very successful, just smile and so important BE NICE !

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @MissMitten21 welcome to DTP. Sorry to hear that you're not getting much support in your role, that must be very difficult for you. I'm sure others will be along soon with some more suggestions but in my mum's home the activities include things like playing music from a time that would be familiar to the residents, singing & dancing, making simple cards or drawings, a 'pamper' session with hand creams and nail varnish, and simple games like passing a balloon or a ball, and blowing bubbles. It will really depend on the capabilities of the residents, as you will need to adapt the activities to suit, but hopefully some of these suggestions may be helpful. Rather than a month of different activities they just have a reasonable variety of different things and repeat them or mix them about a bit weekly, rather than have a different activity for each day of the month. They also hold a monthly birthday party for all residents that have had a birthday that month, and also plan activities around special days or occasions, for example making easter bonnets or paper chains at Christmas.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Welcome!
use the search bar above:
‘care home activities’
‘dementia activities ‘
’activities’
Get used to no support, ‘ hippo skin’ is what you need!
Do what they do on cruise ships, produce a monthly plan of activities that sound great, but actually fail to deliver!
Never disclose your concerns to your colleagues! Just look confident!
I used to do a huge physio class, with very little idea what I was doing, but for some reason it was very successful, just smile and so important BE NICE !
Advice from the physio queen.
Sit people in a circle on chairs.
Have a lovely chat first and if there is any opportunity to make someone feel special then milk it. ( Have a list of birthdays ) oh ! your 87 on Sunday Doreen ?
Ask the group questions ?
Poor Captain Tom, does anyone know anyone who fought in the war?
Never say lift your left arm
Always say ‘ lift an arm’
then say ‘lift the other arm’
Have a great music tape in the background ( no not Dame Vera Lynne)
and you’ve cracked it!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @MissMitten21
there are quite a few sites online with ideas ... I simply searched 'activities coordinator'
eg

maybe have a board where you pin up some of these sources and resources so other staff can see you are being serious about your role

it may be particularly difficult for all staff under current restrictions and your colleagues may be feeling the strain

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
something like a pin board with pictures. where i worked the carers did both. we didnt have a separate activities person. historical newspaper pages laminated of the local area is good talking point. we had music like pub songs on cd and used to dance with residents. even those sat down could wiggle a bit or move their heads. i did skittles and dementia jigsaws. some liked untangling wool and fiddle boxes filled with all sorts of random objects. we had a expanding ball that when residents pulled a cord, it was expanded and made bigger. theres all sorts of websites. cooking was good unless you have someone will eat everything before they have chance to mix it. making flowers by scrunching paper.

MissMitten21

Feb 4, 2021
Thank you for all your replies, its very useful! I'm not the first ACO in my home the lady before left for what I gather similar reasons as to what I explained but I can't be sure. I understand the carers are busy and they are amazing for what they do. I suppose I was expecting just a little bit more support from a training or guidance point of view. It was very much "ok, you've had the tour now go!"