Activities for dementia clients

niknac

Feb 5, 2012
staffordshire
Hi there i have just signed up 2 this site,i am an activities co-ordinator in a nursing home&am struggling with appropriate activities with some of the clients that suffer not only dementia but strokes etc often leaving them confined to their beds,some are aggressive&frightened,i would appreciate any help with conteracting that aggression&feeling frightend.I do not have much of a budget so sensuary lighting etc is not an option,i have a few visual lights&toys that can keep clients amused but it only lasts for a short while.If anyone can offer me some suggestions i would be hugeley greatful!!:)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi niknak - one thing that immediately sprang to mind is a rummage box, filled with small easy to handle items for the sufferer to rummage around in and talk about the items. They don't need to be expensive and maybe you could have several boxes filled with different themed things, for example.

I've not done this myself as I don't think my mam is quite at that stage yet, but have seen this suggestion on the site and thought it was a good one for when the time comes.

I'm not sure what items to suggest for the boxes though! Old photos, postcards, small toys, anything that is tactile or could evoke memories from their distant past - I'm sure other TPers will have some great suggestions. Just thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Hope this helps.

niknac

Feb 5, 2012
staffordshire
fab idea!

thank you for that,ive done memory boxes for a group of people but not individual ones so i will get on the case with this idea,finding out clients likes,intersests job etc will probably be a good start.You would be amazed how some families do not support you with simple things like photos so sometimes its a battle!thank you hugeley:)

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Niknac, hello and welcome to Talking Point
If some of your clients are restricted to bed and frightened then maybe you could spend a few minutes talking to them or just sitting with them and being together, it can be what really matters, sometimes nothing else is needed.

I'm so pleased to see you here and look forward to hearing how your job goes,
with best wishes from Jo

niknac

Feb 5, 2012
staffordshire
thank you!

thank you for your kind contact,being an activities co-ordinator is difficult sometimes as there is no body to train you or lead you in this role,i do alot of "room visits" where i sit& talk about the weather etc.... i know it is calming for some but sometimes i feel i should be doing more so any ideas are a help.I want to do life books with them but families do not tend to be very forth coming with photos or info at times....very frustrating!!!!

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Hi and welcome. I am an activity co-ordinator too, so I know how difficult it is for you. I spend hours trawling through websites on the lookout for ideas. People think all we do is play games all day but don't realise the hours that goes into all the preparation. I also get books from the library or buy one if the price is right. One that I particularly like is Keeping Busy....A Handbook of Activities for Persons with Dementia by James Dowling.
I have compiled a folder with all my ideas in and I refer to it often. In it is a list of proverbs, famous couples/double acts, words that go together eg salt and ....pepper, high and ....low etc. Sayings, a variety of word games, charades, art projects, poems, etc, etc. I add to it whenever I get an idea and soon I'll need to buy a bigger folder.
I hope this helps.

SMH

Sep 5, 2011
Dorset
Hi Nicnak - how fantastic to see you here, it's uplifting to see someone like you taking ideas from carers and those with A/D to try and improve lives. My mum had 2 weeks respite care in a lovely home locally and one of the things that stopped her each day to have a discussion were huge photographs of stars of stage and screen, e.g. Frank Sinatra, Norman Wisdom, Margot Fonteyn etc and pictures of well known landmarks throughout this country; Piccadilly Circus, Angel of the North etc and we would stop by these and they would be talking points, the two of us trying to remember who the actor/place was and then relating to films we had seen with them in, the music we had heard, or the places we knew or had visited. Scrabble is also great fun and even if the rules aren't followed, just the putting of letters together to form words gives some satisfaction.

I also find YouTube invaluable. When mum comes round for tea, I just click on Peggy Lee and play a track and lo and behold mum sings along and remembers a majority of the words, or Frank, or Eartha, or an opera - and things like Showboat, or 42nd Street, being able to play a little clip from them really lightens her mood and it's something we do together, me clicking - her listening and sometimes from this comes a story, a memory. Perhaps if families can tell you the type of music their parent/family member enjoyed you could pick one of these songs to play - just for them, the person centred approach!

Good luck and thank you for your consideration.

Ailsa32

Mar 29, 2010
Lincolnshire
Hi,
i've worked as an activities co-ordinator in a care home & know how tricky it can be trying to find things that residents can enjoy while sticking to a non-existent budget! Having someone confined to a bed is a little tricky, how about hand massages? I had one lady who would not join in with anything, didnt talk to anybody. One day I gave her a hand massage, afterwards she said "that was lovely, thank you" more words than she had ever said to me in the 2 years!
Rummage boxes, with a variety of things inside (wooden dolly pegs, cheese grater, scrubbing brush, sponge). I had an old shoe box with a hole cut out, they had to try & work out what was inside by touch alone. Sometimes the item would be brought out through the hole or the lid taken off the shoe box, but this would then prompt a conversation of did they have one, have they used one?
Old photos, even if they aren't relations, but again to prompt conversation.
Most of the time people just want to talk, even if only for 10 minutes, but having someone talking to them & showing an interest can make all the difference.
Good luck, I hope you enjoy your job as much as i did.

And remember, theres always bingo......!

niknac

Feb 5, 2012
staffordshire
a big help..thank you

thanks alot for your help&ideas,i will put them to good use!!! Bingo???? ive just moved on from that,at times i said the wrong numbers because i lost concentration thro sheer boredom!!!It was hard work getting the clients to move on thou!!!!! i have quite a good activity base for those who join group sessions its the dementia clients i struggle with.I have one that cannot reconise her own photos anymore&shouts terrible things out that can be heard down the corridoors,sometimes she can threaten you so i do keep my distance on occasions but what i need is a comfort distraction that can calm her down&make her less scared,ive tried photos,soft toys,music but they dont seem to be having much effect,i feel helpless at times so if anyone can offer me some advice on that particular area i would be most happy!!! i will try the hand massage with her today:)

FWhitt246

Mar 14, 2012
Wiltshire
Singing!!

Hi there, I just wanted to say not to underestimate the power of music and singing. After reading through this thread I am quite surprised that music has hardly been mentioned! It is an excellent activity for those with dementia, even if you are not musical yourself or don't want to sing, putting on some familiar music can be extremely effective. I see you have tried music with a lady you mention who becomes very agitated etc with no effect but it is quite possible that you just did not use the best music for her. Speak to her family and see if there is any information they can give you about her musical background and that way you pick things you can guarantee she has heard before (whether she remembers or not). At my singing for the brain sessions we have a lady who never sings or joins in with anything we do, but when we did the welsh national anthem for st David's day she sang the whole thing word for word with such passion! Music can be such a powerful tool if used in the right way, so I really encourage you to experiment with it and see what happens!

Aquamanda

Jan 8, 2012
Long shot here but does this lady have chidren who she has been close to etc? What about bringing a realistic baby doll in and seeing if she responds to it and cuddles it etc; that might be very calming. Or did she like pets? Apart from soft toys you can buy really realistic toys like life size cats etc - second hand on ebay, very cheap etc. Do you think that might help at all?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Would a simple jigsaw puzzle be any good? I've wondered about doing this with my own mam, having a half-completed jigsaw on the go, say, when she comes to our house, and getting her to help me work on it, and chat about the old days while we do it. I'm not sure if it will be something my mam would like, but it's worth a try. We did sometimes do jigsaws years ago, so she may like it.

Also, for your patients, how about simply reading to them? Especially the bed-bound people, they may appreciate just listening to a simple story or articles from magazines, especially if you could find out what sort of things they used to be interested in. Maybe just listening to a calm voice talking for a length of time might soothe an agitated person? No idea if this would help, but I remember as a child my favourite telly programme was Jackanory, there's just something so lovely about being read to. Even if they don't understand the story, just being required to listen and not contribute might be enough.

Last edited: