Activities Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefrog88

May 15, 2009
Derbyshire
Hello
I am starting the job role of activities coordinator within 3 care homes that cater for residential/nursing/dementia care. I would appreciate any advice, web links etc as I am only just starting out :)
If any one knows of any good entertainers for the elderly that are in the Derbyshire area, please let me know.
Thanks
Hannah :)

Jaffacake

Aug 1, 2012
Bump Thread

Hi!

I've just joined the forum.

I've been working as a carer in a nursing home for people with advanced stages of dementia for 3 years now (my first care position). I have been given the opportunity to start as an activities co-ordinator at our home as we have difficulty at times to engage the residents in more absorbing and interactive activites recently with lack of staff and attention to some very challenging residents we have had in the past.

I'm waiting for my manager to sign me up to training and I am basically making this job my own by trying to come up with activities with what we have at the moment or what I can get when I can get the funding. In the planning I have to collect some items for a rummage/ memory jogger boxes, make some Fidget aprons when I get time (Really good idea for a few of our residents, especially one lady that tears her clothes every day) and looking into getting some trips booked.

I am good with arts and crafts (my 2 art degrees coming in handy!) but I want to find more ideas to work with residents that are pretty much unresponsive to most things where sensory stimulation is best used. They mainly stay in a particular lounge and so far bubbles, reading and pictures, sensory machine and music as well as textured items have helped. We did have some tiny tupperwares of smelly stuff like cloves and curry powder which have disappeared, id like to make something similar that is more practical in the environment like lavenderbags, but for all sort of smells like essential oils. Any ideas?

Many thanks to any suggestions, I'm battling hard to get some residents to join in!

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Jaffacake, welcome to talking point, and congratulations and warm thoughts for the job you are doing, you will find on TP there are a lot of care workers which is wonderful , although not Christmas yet, but oranges with cloves, maybe burn(if safe) some incense sticks, could your people get involved with bread or jam making(thinking very popular in the old days plus the smell of these cooking),am sure many local shops would donate if funding a problem, also arranging wild flowers(that smell):D

good luck and I expect you will sent tons of ideas
X

Status
Not open for further replies.