Activities Coordinator

Daniel Nield

Oct 16, 2020
I’m currently interviewing for a role as Activities coordinator at a care home and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for activities that are suitable during the Covid situation? Many thanks

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Hi Daniel, if you type 'activities' in the search bar you will be redirected to previous threads which may have some useful ideas. Hope this helps, good luck & best wishes

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
The activities co-ordinator at Mummy's home used to say anything with music was often popular. Singing, listening to music, naming old radio theme tunes, watching musicals.
I used to find that the sort of indoor chore type activities - cooking, knitting, sewing even helping lay the table if safe, were popular. Mummy once very much enjoyed polishing her shoes, with a lot of newspaper and me supervising the polish. It was something she had done as a child and in the early days she didn't forget. They also made those kind of fat and seed balls you put in a bird feeder, though that got rather messy.

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
At mum’s home they plan activities based on events or seasons do check out calendar. Halloween pumpkin carving and they made soup with what they’d carved out, pumpkin and ghost pictures and decorations. Firework pictures and decorations for 5November. Pressing leaves and leaf decorations and hangings for autumn. Mums home is in a woodland so they are lucky they can still get out for a walk one on one with a Carer. One of the favourite activities is weekly soup making. Pub quiz with pies. Dancing to ABBA. Knitted rainbows. Treasure hunt. Film bingo - set a bingo card with things in a film you’ve pre watched. Indoor “olympics” skittles, darts (Velcro), building towers with boxes, throwing bean bags into a basket. Decorating walkers with wool, beads etc and making it a competition. All things my mums home has done.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The activities coordinator at my wife's care home tries to tailor what she does to the needs of individual residents (or small groups). This could be anything from a general knowledge quiz to a game requiring some hand eye co-ordination eg throwing small bean bags at some targets. Any kind of simple game can work. Much to my surprise my wife and others took to colouring in pictures. Bringing in outside entertainers is not possible during lockdown (it would be if the home had a garden but not over the winter) but residents could be encouraged to join in with singing or other musical activities. It does not need to be anything sophisticated. Even something as simple as 'keepy uppy' with a balloon can keep residents engaged and bring some joy to their lives. Best of luck.

Daniel Nield

Oct 16, 2020
T
The activities coordinator at my wife's care home tries to tailor what she does to the needs of individual residents (or small groups). This could be anything from a general knowledge quiz to a game requiring some hand eye co-ordination eg throwing small bean bags at some targets. Any kind of simple game can work. Much to my surprise my wife and others took to colouring in pictures. Bringing in outside entertainers is not possible during lockdown (it would be if the home had a garden but not over the winter) but residents could be encouraged to join in with singing or other musical activities. It does not need to be anything sophisticated. Even something as simple as 'keepy uppy' with a balloon can keep residents engaged and bring some joy to their lives. Best of luck.
Thanks very much for the great ideas. Much appreciated

Daniel Nield

Oct 16, 2020
At mum’s home they plan activities based on events or seasons do check out calendar. Halloween pumpkin carving and they made soup with what they’d carved out, pumpkin and ghost pictures and decorations. Firework pictures and decorations for 5November. Pressing leaves and leaf decorations and hangings for autumn. Mums home is in a woodland so they are lucky they can still get out for a walk one on one with a Carer. One of the favourite activities is weekly soup making. Pub quiz with pies. Dancing to ABBA. Knitted rainbows. Treasure hunt. Film bingo - set a bingo card with things in a film you’ve pre watched. Indoor “olympics” skittles, darts (Velcro), building towers with boxes, throwing bean bags into a basket. Decorating walkers with wool, beads etc and making it a competition. All things my mums home has done.
That’s so helpful thanks very much

Daniel Nield

Oct 16, 2020
The activities co-ordinator at Mummy's home used to say anything with music was often popular. Singing, listening to music, naming old radio theme tunes, watching musicals.
I used to find that the sort of indoor chore type activities - cooking, knitting, sewing even helping lay the table if safe, were popular. Mummy once very much enjoyed polishing her shoes, with a lot of newspaper and me supervising the polish. It was something she had done as a child and in the early days she didn't forget. They also made those kind of fat and seed balls you put in a bird feeder, though that got rather messy.
Thanks so much for your ideas. Much appreciated