Activating power of attorney (scotland)

PatMci

Aug 28, 2012
My mum was seen again today by her consultant psychiatrist, who suggests I now activate power of attorney.
Power of attorney has been arranged for some time now and I have activated the financial side. How do I activate the welfare side....does it entail a further visit to solicitor?
Any advice helpful, thanks :)

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I have just arranged both continuing & welfare POA for my mum and was told by the solicitor that the welfare one would become active if her GP, hospital doctor or consultant psychiatrist stated that she did not have capacity. Once you have this in writing I believe that this is all that is required.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I activated both of our POAs when my husband was diagnosed in 2001.

I think the advice given above is good.

PatMci

Aug 28, 2012
I have just arranged both continuing & welfare POA for my mum and was told by the solicitor that the welfare one would become active if her GP, hospital doctor or consultant psychiatrist stated that she did not have capacity. Once you have this in writing I believe that this is all that is required.

Thank you for this. He did mention I would get a copy of the letter to the CPN, but I wasn't sure if this meant going back to solicitor for another legal document. Sounds quite straight forward now. :)

PatMci

Aug 28, 2012
Dear PatMci

I unfortunately had to do this in Dec. (Scotland). No extra visit to the solicitor was required. The consultant psychiatrist however did ask to see the original PofA and took a copy for his files. The key is to make sure that the PofA covers both financial and welfare then you are OK.

Thank you, yes it covers both thankfully.
:)