Activating an LPA from 12,000 miles away

johne01

Oct 22, 2015
I have a health & wellness LPA for my elderly mother; she resides in the UK whilst I live on the other side of the world in Sydney Australia.

I have had a certified copy of my Mother’s LPA delivered to her local health clinic, anticipating that if and when necessity dictates I can evoke direct dialog with her GP, and immediately activate my attorney rights.

Even though I would have thought this procedure would be commonplace, the administrators at the clinic seem oblivious to how or when an LPA can be ‘activated’ and what procedures are required to activate it. They have asked that I (a complete novice), supply this information!

I understand the mental capacity issues and have read through codes of practice etc., I cannot however find any simple procedural material on what I will be required to do should my mother’s healthcare require my intervention (so far it hasn’t). :)

I really want to be able discuss her treatment with involved medical professionals when time is of the essence and hope that the LPA would facilitate same.

Can anyone provide a pre-emptive solution that I can initiate from 12,000 miles away and have procedure understood by my mother’s medical practice’s admin manager?:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Welcome to Talking Point.

Is this LPA registered? Because if not, that's your first step. If it is registered, does it have any provision re capacity (some LPAs do have such a requirement).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix