ACEiii Results

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
My Dad is in a Dementia Nursing Home and had been for the last year and was diagnosis with Delirium with Mental Health Issues from the Hospital and as he had never had a memory assessment in the community what mental health team wanted him to have a memory test. Before his hospital admission last year, he was living independently and driving and now he can’t make a cup of tea and needs help with most things. He had one yesterday and scored 35/100. Could you give me an idea of what the score shows as I have looked it up online and cannot find any relevant information. Dad had still got to have a CT scan but as he was not receptive to the assessment, they are looking at his previous CT scans he had in hospital in August last year. I realise that his diagnosis will not alter how Dad is and how he presents but I would like to get a bit more of an idea of what is going on. Any advice would be appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Little Circles
You cant use the AceIII test by itself to diagnose dementia, but anything below 82/100 would be considered abnormal and 35/100 is very low. Unfortunately, it cant be used for anything else - it doesnt, by itself, tell you what sort of dementia there is, or what stage it is. It is a useful tool to pick up areas where there are problems for further investigation, and to track progression, but unfortunately it doesnt tell you any more.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Hi @Little Circles
You cant use the AceIII test by itself to diagnose dementia, but anything below 82/100 would be considered abnormal and 35/100 is very low. Unfortunately, it cant be used for anything else - it doesnt, by itself, tell you what sort of dementia there is, or what stage it is. It is a useful tool to pick up areas where there are problems for further investigation, and to track progression, but unfortunately it doesnt tell you any more.
Thank you I thought it was to give an indication rather a diagnosis but I just wanted to get a feel if it was a low score, they are looking at CT Scans next and taken bloods and hopefully together than might be a better indicator for what we are dealing with with Dad. x

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Little Circles my dad scored 75 and was very pleased with that, he thought it was a good pass mark. At that time he was still managing to live alone with a great deal of help from me, he also had to stop driving then because he was dangerous although he couldn't see it. A friend of ours scored 60 recently, his wife looks after him and now feels that she cannot leave him alone for more than half an hour. So yes I would say that your dads score is pretty low.. You say that he was in hospital last year, many of us on here have experienced a decline when a PWD has a hospital stay and that may have affected your dad.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
My mother in law had a score of 59 in her test and was considered mid stage
It sounds like my Dad's score is low abd perhaps leaning to the later stages of dementia, he still knows me and other family members he would perhaps know by sight but can't remember their names. We still have to have a CT scan for a more definitive diagnosis.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
@Little Circles my dad scored 75 and was very pleased with that, he thought it was a good pass mark. At that time he was still managing to live alone with a great deal of help from me, he also had to stop driving then because he was dangerous although he couldn't see it. A friend of ours scored 60 recently, his wife looks after him and now feels that she cannot leave him alone for more than half an hour. So yes I would say that your dads score is pretty low.. You say that he was in hospital last year, many of us on here have experienced a decline when a PWD has a hospital stay and that may have affected your dad.
Yes, he was in hospital for 6 weeks initially as he had delirium brought on by a water infection, but unfortunately, he never returned to how he was before he went into hospital. Things seemed to be taken out of the family’s hands and he was sent to a Dementia Nursing Home for a bed to assess as they considered him aggressive, and he couldn’t do anything for himself. He then has a bout of pneumonia again with delirium which was touch and go and was put on end of life care in the Nursing Home, he is now in a Dementia Nursing Home hence Dad having a mental health Assessment. The decline has been very quick and I agree that the Hospital stays contributed to this decline we now see in Dad.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, he was in hospital for 6 weeks initially as he had delirium brought on by a water infection, but unfortunately, he never returned to how he was before he went into hospital. Things seemed to be taken out of the family’s hands and he was sent to a Dementia Nursing Home for a bed to assess as they considered him aggressive, and he couldn’t do anything for himself. He then has a bout of pneumonia again with delirium which was touch and go and was put on end of life care in the Nursing Home, he is now in a Dementia Nursing Home hence Dad having a mental health Assessment. The decline has been very quick and I agree that the Hospital stays contributed to this decline we now see in Dad.
It was the same with my dad. We muddled through for a long time with me visiting twice a day then he had a three week hospital stay with pneumonia and delirium which affected him really badly. He did go home and he recovered a bit but never to where he was before. I had to move in 24/7 for a year until he died. That is not something that I would recommend and if your dad is in a nursing home then sad as it is he really he should stay there now.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
It was the same with my dad. We muddled through for a long time with me visiting twice a day then he had a three week hospital stay with pneumonia and delirium which affected him really badly. He did go home and he recovered a bit but never to where he was before. I had to move in 24/7 for a year until he died. That is not something that I would recommend and if your dad is in a nursing home then sad as it is he really he should stay there now.
Yes I agree and he will be staying in the nursing home

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A