Accusations

LucyLui

Apr 27, 2015
I am caring for my mother in law and doing my very best for the past eight years. Unfortunately she makes the most awful accusations against me such as I have fixed her will to suit myself. I have had absolutely nothing to do with her will but there are relatives of hers who seem only too glad to believe her. It's hard enough dealing with her nastiness now without having to defend myself against the hostility of others. This is affecting my self esteem and well being so much I have no idea how to deal with the situation. I feel like I do the lions share but get no credit at all.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Lucy: Q1:Who is supporting you?
Q2:What would happen if you stopped caring for her?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Welcome LucyLui.
You've been caring for a long time and must be doing a good job to still be so concerned. Sometimes those closest do take for granted how much we do.
Unfortunately, nasty accusations often seem to be part of the dementia experience - and those not doing so much of the caring can take them at face value. I don't have any words of wisdom - except to suggest that you have a browse through TP as there's lots of helpful info on here.
You are caring for your mil - does your husband support you both? Maybe he needs to have a chat with those relatives to back you up.
And RedLou has a point - can you step back from caring and let the relatives on her side of the family take on the responsibility and discover what a task it is!