Accompanying a vulnerable adult in hospital

duffy2

Aug 26, 2018
Hello,
Can anyone advise if a loved one with dementia is allowed a relative to stay with them whilst an in-patient in hospital? I understand Covid restrictions, but my mother is alone and deteriorating without any visitors or contact and we're told no one is allowed in due to regulations. Can this be correct? It's having a devastating impact, I'd just like to know what rights my mother has.
Many thanks.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @duffy2, I don't know about inpatient rules, but I know that in both a&e and outpatients the staff were going to send me away until I stated mum had alzheimers then I was allowed to stay. Local Covid infection rates will probably have an effect also. Mum had outpatient surgery at a Covid free hospital. We both had to self isolate for 2 weeks before and be tested for me to be able to accompany her. I think there are government guidelines but each hospital applies them slightly differently.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Hello,
Can anyone advise if a loved one with dementia is allowed a relative to stay with them whilst an in-patient in hospital? I understand Covid restrictions, but my mother is alone and deteriorating without any visitors or contact and we're told no one is allowed in due to regulations. Can this be correct? It's having a devastating impact, I'd just like to know what rights my mother has.
Many thanks.
My husband had dementia and a problem with his spine. He lost the use of his legs and had to go into hospital. The staff said I could stay with him if I wanted to. I went home for my things, tablets, clothes ect. and I stayed with him only going home 1 night a week to check the house and wash our clothes. I slept on a mattress on the floor and took care of my husband. This was for about 6 weeks December to mid January then he was moved to another hospital where he was in a 4 bedded ward and I couldn't stay. This was before Covid.

jzw01

Jun 12, 2021
Hello @duffy2

My wife was first suspected of dementia (she is refusing any further investigation) when she was in hospital with stomach pains, which proved to be not a real problem. The policy of the hospital was "no visitors because of covid" unless by approval of the nurse in charge of the ward. Fortunately all of the shift nurses in charge were willing to let me visit her for as long as I wanted as she was calmer and cooperative when I was there. She is now convinced that she was mistreated while I was not with her.

I think that policy about visits is very much down to the individual ward, so ring and ask.

She is home again now, confused but otherwise OK.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has had several outpatients appts and on the letter, it just says to phone that dept if he needs support. my daughter stayed with him and my son has done it as well with not as problem. for inpatients i dont know, maybe good to speak to the ward