Accidents in care home....

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
Hi

I am just a bit confused and thought I would ask on here. If someone has a fall at a care home, does the home have to let the next of kin know about it?

Thanks

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
They should always inform next of kin some are excellent at doing so, others are not. Children's families are always informed if they have a fall, all vulnerable people should have the same rights in my opinion.

If you haven't been told I suggest that you have it written in the notes (ask the manager) that you want to be informed! Some need telling what to do!

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks

My mum had a fall last week and hurt her hip. If my dad hadn't habe been going to see her then he wouldn't have found out. She told him herself and they confirmed it! When I called to see how she was that night, the deputy manager said 'How did you find out' :mad:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
My mum's home does, I would expect to be told as next of kin. They also tell me if she has seen the doctor or is scheduled to, but I did ask to be told anyway.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi

I am just a bit confused and thought I would ask on here. If someone has a fall at a care home, does the home have to let the next of kin know about it?

Thanks

When my Granny was in a care home they always called my mum to let her know if anything was wrong, usually just an infection though that was bad enough. Sorry yours is not so forthcoming, Alison.

Last edited:

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
My Dad's care home are excellent in this regard and always ring even if the incident is relatively minor. The home my Mam was in were less efficient and I once went in to visit and found Mam with a black eye and a nasty gash. It depends. X