Accessible vehicles

Jowan

Oct 15, 2014
Somerset
I hope someone has had experience and can advise. My aunt can no longer get into my car, or the secondary live-in carer's car. The main carer doesn't drive. Auntie can't go on buses. I want to find something that's more easily accessible. She's not in a wheelchair yet, so most searches for accessible vehicles don't come up with anything useful. The difficulty my aunt has is a combination of being increasingly frail and weak, being resistant to being manhandled, and her brain being unable to figure out how to step up, bend down, turn round and sit down all at the same time. I feel that the modern style of van-type car often converted to be wheelchair accessible might work. Something like the Renault Kangoo or Fiat Doblo, with a large sliding back door. Does anyone have experience if these? Any ideas where I could hire one / try one / get more info? Thank you.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I hope someone has had experience and can advise. My aunt can no longer get into my car, or the secondary live-in carer's car. The main carer doesn't drive. Auntie can't go on buses. I want to find something that's more easily accessible. She's not in a wheelchair yet, so most searches for accessible vehicles don't come up with anything useful. The difficulty my aunt has is a combination of being increasingly frail and weak, being resistant to being manhandled, and her brain being unable to figure out how to step up, bend down, turn round and sit down all at the same time. I feel that the modern style of van-type car often converted to be wheelchair accessible might work. Something like the Renault Kangoo or Fiat Doblo, with a large sliding back door. Does anyone have experience if these? Any ideas where I could hire one / try one / get more info? Thank you.

Hi!..i care for my dad who has dementia and drive a wav vehicle. This allows propper seating and space for other things when the time comes.

Lots of cars like vws peugeuots renaults etc in all sorts of sizes and seating configurations are available...you could try enquiring with mobility for approved companies that do adapted vehichles. .
You can type in adapted vehicles in searches on shopping websites...and there are hire companies that hire adapted vehicles ..type that in the search.
The beauty is that you can use them as normal vehicles and be prepared for the future..i drive a van with 5 seats and wheelchair space for 2...its fab!

Try oh mobility gm coaches..or companies that just adapt your own vehicle ....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
The problem is that the difficulty you've identified is going to make any possible solution, such as those suggested above, very hard to successfully implement.

It would seem though that selective use of an appropriate wheelchair could possibly be worthwhile. This could also be tried for bus travel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95