Accepting an offer on my parents house...feels very final

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I am in the process of selling my mum's house (well my brother is meant to be dealing with it as I look after all day to day matters but up have to kick him so hard up the bum regularly that I wish I'd added that to my list - should have been sold by end Sept).

I have decided to hand the monies over to a stockbroker to manage. I feel it is too large a sum to put it all in one investment trust and that this way the risk will be widely spread. Wherever you invest sums of this nature there will be fees, but the return on bank accounts is so low it is likely to be worth it.

I haven't looked into SOLLA but have seen them regularly mentioned on here but DMac has made some sound observations. I'm not a financial adviser and they would sell a 'product' (such as an investment trust) but may not mention the stockbroker option.

annienovember

Nov 14, 2015
parents' house

Hi, I'm new to this forum and found your post which really resonates with me.
My parents are both in a care home, Mum recently diagnosed with dementia, probably vascular, and Dad, very forgetful and confused but not actually diagnosed. Both have very limited mobility.
They've been in the home now for 18 months, and its getting to the stage where I will have to start thinking about selling their house. I've gone as far as having it valued. It's full of stuff, my dad was an inveterate hoarder, it's clean though and everything is stored away in boxes. I did a major tidy up when they moved into the home.
I'm like you, reluctant to make a final decision and uncertain of how much (if anything) to tell them. I have financial POA so it won't be a problem to get it sorted once I make the final decision. It was my childhood home and holds many memories for me and my family. I'm an only child so the decision is really mine alone, although I do talk it all through with my grown up kids.
Anyway, just wanted to say the comments on your post and the original post itself have been very helpful. Thank you.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
I'm an only child so the decision is really mine alone, although I do talk it all through with my grown up kids.
Anyway, just wanted to say the comments on your post and the original post itself have been very helpful. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum :)

I too am an only child. I have the POA. My uncle decline to take up the POA , which was fine bye me, however I do run decisions by him. I find it very helpful because to a degree he is for mum's best interest. So I talk to him he agrees I feel better

annienovember

Nov 14, 2015
Welcome to the forum :)

I too am an only child. I have the POA. My uncle decline to take up the POA , which was fine bye me, however I do run decisions by him. I find it very helpful because to a degree he is for mum's best interest. So I talk to him he agrees I feel better

That's good you have someone to talk to about the decisions. Sometimes you just need to either talk to someone or write it all down I think. Helps you to see it as a decision that has to be not just such a personal matter.

Bessieb

Jun 2, 2014
There are so many of us going through a similar thing. Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone it does make it feel a lot less lonely knowing that others are making similar decisions . Thank you everyone for posting.

I'm just filling in some of the sale forms / fixtures and fittings details for my parents house. I don't even know who looks after the boundaries / when the electrical wiring was done / whether drains run through the garden etc etc on my own house let alone my parents! I'll just have to give my best go at it and hope the buyers know it's all been done in good faith!

I went to visit my Mum and Dad today. They mentioned the house once or twice but Mum asked 'do we still have a house?' at one point and I was very vague so I am sort of hoping that they are becoming used to their new surroundings and memories of their house will fade. My Mum was also asking about her Mothers house which was cleared 22 years ago so I do think this is probably happening. Dreadfully sad but in many ways I will find it easier when they have less clarity and memory about their house :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951