Accept care home room or wait for a better one?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by whatproblem, Oct 10, 2018.

1. whatproblem

whatproblem Registered User

Jan 9, 2018
    Male
    Mum (Alz, 78) has been offered a room in our favourite care home. Problem is, it's a temporary place in the nursing section and Mum only needs residential or moderate dementia care. They offered to move her when a more suitable room becomes available.

We are both suffering while Mum lives alone, a long way from me, so I'm tempted to move her just to get her into proper care. However, she won't like being in a hospital-like environment and the double move is only going to confuse her. On the other hand, it took about six months to get this far so I really hate to say no to this opportunity. What a dilemma!

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Could she sleep in the nursing section and spend the days in the community areas of one of the other sections?.

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    It's your favourite care home and she'll have a foot in it - how good is that? When she moves rooms, she won't have to move far. I'd say take it!

4. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi @whatproblem
    me, I'd snap up this offer especially as they have said they will move to another room when available
    dad moved rooms after a short time in his care home, and ended up in a much better room for him, with only a little confusion over where his room was which the staff helped him with eg a notice on his door with his name in large letters

5. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    I agree, I'd take the offer. It may be the only way you get her into her favourite care home, and I wouldn't worry too much about moving her twice. My mother had to move rooms in her care home (because she had a fall and needed a level-access room) and it didn't seem a problem at all, she was delighted with the new room.

6. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    I agree...take it...having her in the care home of your choice long term is more important than worrying about how a change of room may or may not affect her. A room in the resident8al part may soon become available as vacancies can happen unexpectedly.

7. Madame Mazonga

Madame Mazonga New member

Oct 18, 2017
    I would definitely say 'take it'. My Mum went into a home earlier this year and has really settled. She only needs moderate care and is able to help doing things like setting the tables for the residents.

8. whatproblem

Jan 9, 2018
    Male
    Yes, nitram, that is exactly what they are offering.

9. whatproblem

Jan 9, 2018
    Male
    Thanks everyone, you have all cheered me up immensely. I told them "yes". :)