Abuse report update

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sorry if I have missed this being posted elsewhere already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-19162516

I know there were previous threads on this and many TPers would be interested in updates about the sentences served to those accused of abuse, let alone what may have happened to the residents ........ if someone can link it, please do so.

Already lots of learning for those charged with care and supervision of that care for the vulnerable?

"Out of evil ...." .... as my mother used to say ......

Thoughts still with those residents and their families affected by the highly publicised case ...... at least the prosecutions are progressing and justice - whatever that is - may be served.

Karen, x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had heard bits on the radio about this today or yesterday. I was wondering about the sentencing. I agree with Lin.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Many of the words below will ring bells with those of us who, sadly, have had to deal with similar issues. The full report is a very challenging read, but revealing at the same time of the state of care in our so-called civilised country. For those who won't be reading the full report, here's an article published today and written by a commentator on public policy and management.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

“Even without witnessing the abuse taking place in the hospital, there were warning signs of poor care in NHS records. For example, patients ended up in A&E on 78 occasions, but there was no alert system in place to tell clinical staff about previous visits, so any evidence of a pattern of poor care was lost. Over three years there were 29 police contacts with the hospital and they successfully prosecuted a member of staff, while the council had received 40 safeguarding alerts.”

“...some commissioners were aware of concerns – and failures to follow up concerns when commissioners did become aware of them ....”

“Patient records reveal casual neglect – there were widespread dental problems and "most patients were plagued by constipation". Many patients were being given anti-psychotic and anti-depressant drugs without a consistent prescribing policy.”

“The company failed to address clinical governance, staffing problems, why the police were called to the hospital or the "operational relevance of the hospital's statement of purpose". In other words, the promises the firm made to patients and commissioners bore no relation to the reality.”

“The serious case review says that on paper *organisation name removed* policies, procedures, operational practices and clinical governance were impressive. Yet the reality of the way patients were assessed and cared for, how staff were recruited, trained, managed, led and disciplined, how complaints were handled and how records were kept came down to "arbitrary violence and abuses".”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/healthcar...ners-learn-winterbourne-scandal?newsfeed=true

Last edited by a moderator:

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
What about the directors where were they when all of this horrific abuse was taking place, are they still in post taking big fat bonus payments. Is this company still being commissioned by the public purse strings.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
There should be personal liability for those in charge of not only care homes but hospitals as well. Anyone caught looking the other way gets prosecuted and a prison sentence.

The people in charge are actually more guilty than the perpetrators, they allow a culture of abuse to fester until the abusers really believe it is alright.

If, as carers, we look after someone who has a large bruise no matter how caused, we would most likely be suspected and investigated for abuse, with a note left forever on a safeguarding file. While in the care of a CH or NHS it becomes 'well, they have dementia and they hurt themselves', double standards.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Disgraceful. What is the message being sent out by those sentences? Will it discourage others from carrying out the same disgusting behaviour?

A year ago, a 23-year old woman was jailed for 6 months for stealing water from a supermarket - water that cost £3.50.

A mother of two was jailed for 5 months for receiving a pair of shorts that were given to her after they'd been stolen from a supermarket by someone else.

A looter who pinched an ice cream and gave it away after just one lick was jailed for 16 months.

What a strange world we live in.

PS. Where's Tender Face? Just realised we haven't heard from her for a long while. Hope all is well with you Kaz.

Last edited:

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
What happened to the management? No prosecution for them?

I feel that what one of the carers said when he came out of court should get lots of publicity, what he said about working there made quite a lot of sense. If the carers working conditions are so bad they will be pushed too far, after all, they are not related to those they care for, we have to put up with horrendous situations because the people are our loved ones.

I make no excuse for those who did these things but I feel that the problem is further up the scale of responsibility. Unless senior managers/owners are frightened about personal consequences involving jail sentences for themselves, things will not get better.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
The maximum sentence give was two years. TWO YEARS. It is nothing compared to the years of misery endured by those vulnerable people. And that was to only one of the abusers. Two others got 20 months. The rest virtually nothing. Community service. Who on earth would want them anywhere near the community?

They need sticking in the stocks and pelting. And that is my mild response. There just happens to be a set of stocks 300 yards from my house.

I couldn't watch the abuse on the telly. I got the gist of it and had to turn away. I cried a the thought of the patients expecting and deserving care and love, and getting hammered by the thugs in charge.

We have a child abuse register, why not a care home abuse register too?

Margaret

And PS Karen, hope you are okay. Long time no hear.

Ballettoes

Sep 19, 2011
North east coast
Disgraceful. What is the message being sent out by those sentences? Will it discourage others from carrying out the same disgusting behaviour?

A year ago, a 23-year old woman was jailed for 6 months for stealing water from a supermarket - water that cost £3.50.

A mother of two was jailed for 5 months for receiving a pair of shorts that were given to her after they'd been stolen from a supermarket by someone else.

A looter who pinched an ice cream and gave it away after just one lick was jailed for 16 months.

What a strange world we live in.

Does not make sense does it ?

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
I will keep repeating myself, the people who run these places are getting away with it, they will just employ another lot of people, possibley on very bad terms with very long hours, the staf might well be de-humanised by what they have to face every day for long hours. The residents in these places may well have very serious issues, if they didn't then why are their families not looking after them in their own homes?

Vulnerable people need to be protected, if those at the top of the food chain are not frightened for themselves then abuse could continue.

Safeguarding files remain forever, even when there is no proof or any evidence whatsoever of anything wrong. Are the senior managers/directors names put on these files?