Abreviations

linda_ann

Jul 23, 2005
Can someone fill me in on the jargon used, ie what is AD, EMI. sorry to be thick but I'm new to all this.
Thanks

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
AD=Alzheimers Disease
EMI = Elderly Mentally Infirm

plenty more where they came from - keep asking - someone will fill you in!

Kriss

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Linda, sorry, we all tend to do it, another you might find is vas. dementia, thats Vascular dementia, or AD/Vas which is a mixture of both. SS is social services, CPN is community psychiatric nurse. SW is social worker. POA is Power of Attorney whilst EPoA or EPA is Enduring Power of Attorney. Thats all I can think of right now. Love, She. XX

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Linda,
Another one I use is LTC for long term care facility. But some of the English terms weren't familiar but I had fun looking them up. Yes, I'm easily amused, for which my husband is very grateful.
Joanne

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
The SS for social services has always 'amused' me ........ now, what was that other organisation that used the same abbreviation? ............... :)

Elaine

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
hi. it took me a while to realize who Sheilas,MIL was ,thought it was short for MILLY, then it dawned it was mother .in .law,as F.I.L.is father in law.ANGELA

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Confusing and jargonistic?

Try working for the NHS (for foreign visitors - National Health Service) - we are b*gg*rs for that!

I try to avoid jargon at all costs... especially when talking to folk I'm working with/caring for - it's confusing and sometimes you might simply 'expect' them to know what you are talking about.

The few I do use are:
BP - Blood Pressure

and of course, MMSE (Mini Mental State Examination)

The latter - because it's easier to say MMSE than the full blurb - but I always explain what the thing is rather than say "Right, I'm going to go through an MMSE with you, is that okay?" - that might not mean anything to anyone!

Just for a little 'lol' here, I sometimes joke with people that I am suffering from CBA, especially if I'm tired or have not slept much.

:confused:

Can't be *rs*d!

:D

Sorry lol, but that's an abbreviation I've used for years!

:)

N.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Elaine,
Yes the SS ... now what was that organization??? Obviously someone was asleep at the switch when they started using that abbreviation.

Dearth,
I give ..... waht is CBA? Is it related to SRH? (Something only men suffer from).

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Canadian Joanne said:
Elaine,
Yes the SS ... now what was that organization??? Obviously someone was asleep at the switch when they started using that abbreviation.

Dearth,
I give ..... waht is CBA? Is it related to SRH? (Something only men suffer from).

SRH - I have no idea - please explain.

CBA means 'Can't be *rs*d' (I edit that word to be decent - it relates to one's posterior)...

For some reason 'not being *rs*d' = not wanting to be invloved in something.

No ideas why, but a common English phrase amongst those of us who resort to base language!

N.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dearth,

SRH = Sperm retention headache.

Hope this gets by - no rude words after all.

I like CBA - I'll start using it & confusing people here. Always handy to be able to say something rude in a way no one else understands. I know an extremely rude & funny one but I think I might private message you on that one!! It reall is over the line!!!

Joanne

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Canadian Joanne said:
Dearth,
I know an extremely rude & funny one but I think I might private message you on that one!! It reall is over the line!!!

Joanne

:D Feel free to do so.

I'm unshockable... in fact I run a comedy forum that contains all kinds of jokes and comments, from the tame to the outlandish - so not much offends me!

Although SRH :eek:

I was shocked yet educated at the same time!

N.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa