ABout me - Dearth - Staff Nurse (almost)

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Yep folks... not long away from qualifying now!

:)

I've passed my final essay, teaching session and 'clinical portfolio' and am awaiting info from the Nursing & Midwifery Council before I can then register to be a Mental Health Nurse... just a case of waiting now!

I have had an interview and have got a job at a Dementia Assessment Unit... it's a little out of area so I'll be driving a wee distance but I'm happy - the place looks excellent and there's a lot of scope for development (including mine - plus they'll let me do some 'humour therapy' stuff and 'teaching sessions'/presentations).

In the meantime, I'll be starting there as a Nursing Assistant on the 27th March whilst I wait to be registered.

Can't wait :)

It's been a long three years studying, and it's not been easy - but well worth the effort!

Thought I'd share this info with you all!

N.

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Good luck with your new job.

Lila

Dearth said:
Yep folks... not long away from qualifying now!

I've passed my final essay, teaching session and 'clinical portfolio' and am awaiting info from the Nursing & Midwifery Council before I can then register to be a Mental Health Nurse... just a case of waiting now!

I have had an interview and have got a job at a Dementia Assessment Unit... it's a little out of area so I'll be driving a wee distance but I'm happy - the place looks excellent and there's a lot of scope for development (including mine - plus they'll let me do some 'humour therapy' stuff and 'teaching sessions'/presentations).

In the meantime, I'll be starting there as a Nursing Assistant on the 27th March whilst I wait to be registered.

Can't wait :)

It's been a long three years studying, and it's not been easy - but well worth the effort!

Thought I'd share this info with you all!

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Thanks folks!

Here's a bit more 'about me' by the way... it may give you some idea of how I became interested in this area specifically re: my job.

This story has also been put in our local Alzheimer's Society newsletter by the way.

Not Forgotten
I had been working on a Dementia Assessment Unit as a Nursing Assistant for only a couple of months - as such, my duties including helping people perform with their daily living activities including prompting with eating and dressing, attending to personal hygiene needs etc.

From experience I can state that having worked on a day to day basis with people 5 out of seven days per week, 7.5 hours per day one certainly builds up a rapport and therefore a relationship with people, and (this is not a criticism) at times one cannot help but feel involved and indeed ‘take home’ some of the shared experiences.

For me, this involved on lady I shall refer to as Mary - however, that isn’t her real name... I’m doing this to ensure her anonymity and can assure you that I DO indeed remember the lady’s name as this experience struck a chord with me.

I had a good relationship with Mary and we often enjoyed a laugh and a joke as well as swapping stories about our pets (both avid dog-lovers) - whenever I got the chance, as with all the people I worked with, I would try to ensure to spend some time in conversation with this lady who’s company I certainly enjoyed.

I came into work one afternoon to find Mary sat in the dayroom looking very distressed - I asked her what was wrong and she broke down in floods of tears. She explained that she had just been in the doctor’s ward round (i.e. the weekly patient review done by the Consultant Psychiatrist) and the doctor had explained what was wrong with her.

“He’s told me I’ve got dimension” she said.

I listened intently, without trying to correct her in any way - I felt that this would have been totally inappropriate as she had a lot to say.

After providing numerous tissues and listening for quite sometime I had shared in an experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life - to see another person’s fears of the cruel disease of Dementia.

One of the biggest fears Mary had was in the loss of her self and that that would affect how she would behave.

“I don’t want to end up going doolally and sitting there wetting myself needing to be changed by a stranger! I’d rather be dead.”

I felt at a loss - what could I say? I’d limited experience in this area and at the time didn’t know too much about the ‘dementing illness’ - I did the best I could at the time in simply listening to her and holding her hand and trying my damnedest to offer some reassurance.

After Mary had calmed down, I reported this to a senior member of staff and documented it in order to ensure that all would be aware of this incident and any future outcomes from this, thus ensuring that she receive the best quality of care.

I carried on with the rest of my shift and before setting off for home I sat down and cried over this - which I did again once returning home: this is not something I am ashamed of - I feel that if you are in a situation like this it does affect you - it certainly affected me.

Sadly, or maybe not sadly... it depends on your viewpoint, Mary did not recall the conversation we had and over a period of time I saw her memory worsen and her abilities to function decline - I never once forgot the conversation we had, but have to say I felt some comfort in the fact that Mary did not appear to be in any distress from that point on (this I know is only from observations made by myself and others - I cannot 100% guarantee that it is fact), although often appearing confused, this lady certainly retained her sense of humour and we still enjoyed our chats together.

I later left my job to go onto training to be a Mental Health Nurse - I am now awaiting various bits of paperwork and the ‘legal bumph’ to be completed before I am recognised as a Registered Nurse.

The reason I have written this short piece is for this simple reason:

Although I was not a ‘carer’ as such, in that I was in paid employment rather than a family member/friend etc. this is not to say that I don’t care... there are many people throughout society who try their very best to help people cope with Dementia on a daily basis - my story is only one of many examples, and Mary is one person out of many others... but I still remember her and that’s what matters to me - this is not just my story but I feel it’s hers too - and as long as it’s written down for others to read, it won’t be lost should my memory fail me too.

During my three years training I've worked in many different areas of Mental Health both in hospital and in the community - towards the end of my training I aimed to work SPECIFICALLY in Dementia Care, yet I was aware that that might not be possible: jobs thin on the ground with my trust... and as a 'seconded' student (i.e. an employee of the trust who paid me a wage as a Nursing Assistant as I trained) I was prepared to take whichever job became available (although I did state my preferences).

I feel lucky to get the job I wanted even if it is out of area - who cares? I'd rather travel and do the job of choice than stay local and do something I might not be keen on.

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Even better news!

Thanks to this excellent weblink:
Google Maps

I put in the postcode from our house and that of my destination - and I've found an easier route that will cut a good deal of time off my journey!

I'll try it out later this week and have a 'trial run' - should be a doddle now!

N.

Finnian

Sep 26, 2005
U.K.
Countdown time. Congrats on the new post. Keep polishing your enthusiasm.
Really pleased for you.

love Finnian

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
Congratulations Dearth! I wish you all the very best in your future career. Mental health in general and dementia sufferers in particular need and deserve more nurses like you.

Bets

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
May I also offer my congartulations, Dearth.

Your article that appeared in the newsletter has certainly touched me. We tend to only hear about people in the NHS that don't appear to care ...... and it's lovely to know that you, and many others I'm sure, really do care.

Good Luck go with you.
Elaine

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Congratulations Dearth. all that hard work has finally paid off for you. I hope that you really enjoy your new post. You sound so enthusiastic - they are lucky to get someone like you. Love Zan

smile

Oct 25, 2005
tenerife
First of all congratulations Dearth I remember the feeling of waiting for the paper work well its a frustrating time, you are all but qualified but not quite there yet,

I read your extract from the magazine with a tear in my eye, I used to be a manager of a unit for younger people with related dementias and always remember one lady in her mid 40´s waiting outside my office while I was interviewing a new staff member, she waited patiently but seemed to becoming slightly agitated, so I broke of the interview to attend to her, I asked what the matter was and she said can I ask you something, of course I replied, am I going mad she said, I was lost for words, yes you and me both I replied.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Many thanks for all the kind words and comments folks...

I certainly will keep you informed... I've learned a lot from this forum and it's a two-way thing I feel - anything I learn or think might be of interest/may help folk I'll certainly post here.

Here's the latest...

Yesterday I went to fill in the 'CRB' stuff... basically, to say that I've not been a 'naughty lad' - no undisclosed offences etc. etc. (this is a protection for people I work with obviously and I'm happy with it).

Mad thing is... I did one 3 years ago at the styart of my course, but more recently I also did another about 8 months back for temp. work with Social Services... but they still need another - as far as I know, I haven't killed, robbed or even spat out since the last check, but I suppose it's better that these things are done properly.

I start work as I said next Monday as a Nursing Assistant first - no probs. for me as that was my job previously... and, as there is a 'role blurring' at times especially in working in the 'Dementia Arena' I feel that what I do in that role will be similar to my new role upon registration so I'm happy... and of course, it will give me time to get to know all the staff and patients too.

The following week, I believe I have to have an induction (OMG! Does that mean I'm being induced? :D ) - don't know what that entails... probably updates on Fire Training/Health & Safety/Fire Prevention etc. all the mandatory stuff - I will have to see.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will be having a trial run to the place I'll be working - Peasley Cross, St. Helens - last time I went I got lost!!! :D

This time though I am armed with a printout of directions AND a proper street map.

As to travelling... it seems to be only a wee bit more in miles than in my previous job before I moved house... that was approx. 9 miles for a single journey - this time I think it will be about 14 miles I think... and part of the journey should be a pretty straight run along a major road (The East Lancs).

Will I STILL end up getting lost?

Watch this space folks... my track record isn't brilliant!

:D

N.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
:) Just a quick note to add my good wishes for your new job.

Don't worry about the travelling; I was doing 90 miles a day round trip for the last 6 years (until made redundant:( )

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Lynne said:
Don't worry about the travelling

I will I'm afraid... I went today and STILL managed to get lost - even with a map!

I did get it sussed out eventually - and will go again tomorrow to time the journey properly!

N.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Neil
congratulations on passing your nursing exams,I remember the feeling of relief well.
I hope you will be very happy in the NHS and that some one can sort it out soon.
I would think Nye Bevan is turning in his grave.
Good luck
Norman

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
But did he guess so many people would be living so much longer, and having organ transplants etc.?

Lila

Norman said:
I hope you will be very happy in the NHS and that some one can sort it out soon.
I would think Nye Bevan is turning in his grave.
Good luck
Norman

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
News just in...

I had another trip there this morning - didn't get lost!

It took me just 35 minutes - so I'm happy!

At last! I know the way to work... now all I need to do is learn how to do the job! :eek:

N.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm sure you know how to do the job and will do it admirably. However ..... will you be able to find your way home afterwards?!!!!!:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R