About honey ... you might already know this

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
I came across this info by accident last night. Staggering!

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
Sample size less than 3000? Dont believe a word of it.

Sorry
@Jessbow This is not a sales pitch. The difference between the 2 groups seems significant to me. The following is all you need to know.

Honey is one of nature's most splendid gifts to mankind. It possesses unique nutritional and medicinal properties. Honey is as old as written history and it was used to treat amnesia. A randomized, placebo controlled, double blind,5 year study with 2290 cognitively intact subjects and 603 with a mild cognitive impairment (total 2893 ,aged 65 and older), randomized to one daily tablespoon of honey or placebo. Honey was given to 1493 subjects, while only1400 received placebo. Dementia assessment was done every 6 months. This study was conducted in Iraq from Nov.2003 to Nov. 2008.As a total, only 489 subjects developed dementia. It was seen in 394 of those receiving placebo and only in 95 subjects receiving honey(P-value <0.05).

Honey and it's properties is considered one of the natural preventive therapies of both cognitive decline and dementia. It has antioxidant properties and it enhances the brain's cholinergic system and circulation. Further studies are needed to investigate the role of honey in slowing the progression of dementia and if it has any antiamyloid properties.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have just read the study and it doesn't sound like a properly structured study to me. It sounded more like a sales pitch for honey.

The study said that it was in people over 65 years of age but there was no further breakdown of the age span which would be extremely important in a study of this kind. Without knowing that span, it doesn't sound like an unusual percentage of the population developing AD as part of the increasing number of aged people in the community.

I had further doubts when a pop up box appeared asking me to subscribe to a group promoting honey.

Honey does have many medicinal properties, depending on the type but I think you would need to eat a lot for it to beneficial internally and when you think it is all sugar that may not be such a good thing.

Manuka honey has rocketed to ridiculous prices due to NZ's great marketing but there is an even better honey if you can get hold of it called lemon Myrtle. Lots more antioxidant and it is delicious.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The study is supposed to have taken place during the Iraq war. Very difficult time,.

Now, I'm not saying honey may not have some helpful properties but certainly more studies would have to be done. The problem that I see is that we haven't had a 'Miracle" substance for some time now. So to me, this may simply be a new "Miracle" product. Let's wait for more studies.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The study is supposed to have taken place during the Iraq war. Very difficult time,.

Now, I'm not saying honey may not have some helpful properties but certainly more studies would have to be done. The problem that I see is that we haven't had a 'Miracle" substance for some time now. So to me, this may simply be a new "Miracle" product. Let's wait for more studies.
if this research was carried out in 2008 the findings are not exactly at the forefront in 2020.

Another study, different food- no honey mentioed

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My questions would be: if this research is really on to something why has it not been followed up? Why, 12 years on, is there not a massive amount of research and investment into this wonder foodstuff? Why is honey not prescribed instead of or alongside the more usual pharmaceuticals (Donepezil, Memantine etc.)? And so on.

Elsewhere I read that "Honey can make you smarter". Guess what, like the study the OP refers to this is found on a website aimed at selling honey. Honey may be beneficial in all sorts of ways but it is no "magic bullet" for dementia or anything else.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Totally unscientific! How do they know what these people would have been like without honey? Are the people in the study identical in every other way? (e.g. age, social class, education, marital status, other health conditions, etc etc.) it is impossible to rule out all othe factors and state that (only) honey has influenced the results - in any way.

Honey is indeed amazing stuff, not least the way it doesn't go off, which makes it great for treating wounds, etc. It may be good for you in all sorts of different ways. But until you can show me a large cohort of honey eaters in different situations and different countries and say, 'Look - they eat honey and none of them got dementia!' I'm afraid I will remain sceptical.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Whereas I see hope, everybody else wants to trash this. Must be something wrong with me.
i dont think its something wrong with you but maybe people are sceptical after all the different studies of how to prevent or treat dementia. i know that manuka honey has healing properties and widely used in dressings and treatment of wounds

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
There's hope, false hope and then there's snake oil. Unfortunately this is the latter.

There are no doubt many substances that if taken in the right quantities, all our lives, might just prevent dementia. That's because we don't know why some people get it and others - who appear on the surface to be very similar but may not have made the same 'good' lifestyle choices - don't get it.

But you really should be suspicious of any study making claims like this when it is impossible to discount all the many other factors that could explain the results.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I always am very skeptical on this. But few years ago I saw study published in The British Medical Journal found that it may even be possible to reverse some symptoms through use of honey as treatment, though other.

Exactly my mother consumes Rosemary honey every day. Since my son bring a gift set of Honey from Andorra. But it’s hard to predict the role of honey in the overall progress. Maybe it’s just a placebo. But we continue to order it every month.
The study by The Oxford University published in the BMJ showed that honey reversed the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections (ie coughs, colds and sore throats) and the effects lasted for several days. It made no mention of dementia.

It wont do your mum any harm, though and will be a nice little treat for her.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The study by The Oxford University published in the BMJ showed that honey reversed the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections (ie coughs, colds and sore throats) and the effects lasted for several days. It made no mention of dementia.

It wont do your mum any harm, though and will be a nice little treat for her.
I always go for a honey and lemon hot toddy for a cold or similar. Perhaps this study explains why it makes me feel better.

Or maybe it's the whiskey I add....

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Honey has known antibacterial & antiviral properties. If nothing else it’s beneficial to general well-being .
Turmeric is another positive in well being & the list goes on .
Personally I’d try anything who really knows how each individual will react to a pure natural food.
I wouldn’t purchase from any websites pushing sales of products.

Try local honey or a cheaper brand .
After all the medicines we use today are all from natural derivatives at some point .
ps
I have a low immune system that at times of stress becomes no existent - honey in tea as a sweetener defo helps . When I stop I notice the difference
x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I've actually found any clear honey is good for drawing out infection from minor cuts, grazes and spots. I know it should be medical grade but I've always had success with Aldi's...perhaps if I'm not careful one of my cuts will (as my gran used to say) "turn into a pig's foot" ? ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I came across this info by accident last night. Staggering!

Absolutely!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've actually found any clear honey is good for drawing out infection from minor cuts, grazes and spots. I know it should be medical grade but I've always had success with Aldi's...perhaps if I'm not careful one of my cuts will (as my gran used to say) "turn into a pig's foot" ? ?
It's supposed to be good for hay-fever as well but my dentist said it's not good for teeth!

Natrah

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976