Aaaargh!

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Been trying to get council tax waiver for Mum but the GP says that as she has never been 'officially' diagnosed she doesn't have dementia!! This despite a hospital stay in June as a 'Butterfly' patient, carers 4 times a day, meals on wheels, higher level attendance allowance, double incontinence etc etc. But as she has never been to a memory clinic they can't say that she has dementia! The district nurses have also visited her re incontinence.
I can see that I will have to give up as I can't at this stage inflict clinics etc on Mum who is now too frail to cope with such things. I knew her GP practice was useless but didn't know that they were quite so bad. However, at least I convinced them that they are not allowed to charge £20 for giving this information - so a small victory. As if life isn't difficult enough - sigh..

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Been trying to get council tax waiver for Mum but the GP says that as she has never been 'officially' diagnosed she doesn't have dementia!! This despite a hospital stay in June as a 'Butterfly' patient, carers 4 times a day, meals on wheels, higher level attendance allowance, double incontinence etc etc. But as she has never been to a memory clinic they can't say that she has dementia! The district nurses have also visited her re incontinence.
I can see that I will have to give up as I can't at this stage inflict clinics etc on Mum who is now too frail to cope with such things. I knew her GP practice was useless but didn't know that they were quite so bad. However, at least I convinced them that they are not allowed to charge £20 for giving this information - so a small victory. As if life isn't difficult enough - sigh..

i am sorry for your problemas but i would say get her tested hand that gets her council tax reduced although i was told if you get higher rate attendence allowence you get the coucil tax reductio any way i know my mother did and she did nit have dementia she had physical problems

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My mum was never diagnosed but all the professionals knew that she has memory loss. She doesn't have to be diagnosed for council tax waiver - the phrase the councils use is 'substantial or severe mental impairment' and if the GP can't see that after all the things that you have described then perhaps he needs to be tested!!:D I suggest that you either go back to him or ask to see another GP in the practice or write a letter to the practice manager. Would he have done it if you had paid the £20? if so give him the £20 and then fight it if you have the energy but get the letter first.
PS So sorry you are going through this, why do professionals set themselves up as barriers to help

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
He clearly wants a diagnosis because then he gets paid for having 'found' another dementia patient, makes me so cross!!!!

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Latest news - district nurse is going to go in and do a mini mental memory test - just be like Mum to be having a spectacular day and be able to answer the questions!! I really don't know why all this is necessary and, assuming she agrees that Mum has dementia, the council tax waiver will just be dated from now - whereas Mum has had higher level attendance allowance since June. The whole thing is crazy!!