AA..Good News

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
A little success story to share with you all as we continue our toil helping our loved one’s live with this debilitating infliction called AD.
Following dad’s spell in hospital in May this year, I thought that the time was right for us to do some research into the availability and suitability of care homes near to where I live in Surrey. This led me to contacting my local Alzheimer’s Society branch in Woking where I met this extremely helpful lady who suggested that I should apply for AA (strange how the social service people I’d had dealing’s with up till then had never mentioned this). She also offered to help me fill in the form when it arrived which was of great benefit to us as she was able to give much more clarity when answering the questions than I would ever of been able to manage. Our application was made on the 31st of May, and I received confirmation yesterday that it had been successful.
I remember reading a few weeks ago, the experiences of a few of you TP contributors in regard to applying for Attendance Allowance with differing levels of success but I couldn’t find the thread hence this new one but I’m sure one of you moderators will move it if need be.

In regard to my research into care homes in my area, I wonder Bruce if I might contact you as you also live in Surrey.

Peter.

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother's applications for AA were turned down, but I didn't see what was written on the forms.

She also lived in Surrey.

Lila

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
Hello Lila, sorry to see your mothers application was turned down. As I put in my post, the lady from the Woking branch was of the opinion that it was not so much the information you supplied to the DWP but on how that information was presented and the terminology used. I’m not at all sure that we would have been successful first time around without her help.

Peter

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother was too independent for her own good, perhaps if she'd been more willing to accept help (e.g. with form-filling) more help would have been available.

Lila

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Lila - have you thought of reapplying. I was lucky and it was granted on first attempt. But whilst waiting to hear the decision a Social Services lady said if I was unsuccessful they would help to reapply - maybe worth a try. Beckyjan

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Don't give in without a fight!!

On the subject of Attendance Allowance claims being turned down, I have been told by several people who are 'in the know' about AD (including Mum's consultant!) that about 30% of these applications are routinely rejected, almost without being read.

Take no notice, appeal the decision straight away.

They will then contact the doctor/consultant in charge of the case (which they don't always do) to get them to confirm the diagnosis of AD.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
aa form

I applied for ist level AA and got it first time. Then later i applied for the full payment and it was granted with no problems:D

Cynron x x

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Too late as my mother is dead now.

Lila

BeckyJan said:
Lila - have you thought of reapplying. I was lucky and it was granted on first attempt. But whilst waiting to hear the decision a Social Services lady said if I was unsuccessful they would help to reapply - maybe worth a try. Beckyjan

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Really sad to hear your news. Very difficult to know what to say but my thoughts are with you. Best wishes Beckyjan

magpie

Jul 21, 2006
Bradford
Great guide to help with AA form

Hi
I found a really useful - and I mean REALLy useful - guide that can be used to fill in the AA form in the 'correct terminology' at the Barton Hill (East Bristol) Advice Service website. You actually need to download their 'Mental Health DLA Guide for Adults' as they don't have a mental health AA guide - but the two forms are substantially the same, so it's no problem. The guide goes through each section in detail and gives you chapter and verse on what to say. I filled in the form using it a fortnight ago and found it so easy to use that I wanted to reccommend it then and there, but I thought I'd better wait and see if it worked.... Mum's entitlement letter came today!

So give it a try - I know there's no guarantee to anything, but this at least makes trying to get it a bit easier!

Go to: www.bhas.org.uk and click on DLA for the free PDF Guide

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher