AA and nursing bands

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Hi folks, can you help with your collective vast experience of the benefits system?
Have you ever known of someone continuing to get attendance allowance because they pay for themselves in residential BUT get a nursing need covered (lower/middle/higher)?

I ask because I have been informed that if someone does get a nursing band they lose their AA. How unfair?! (stamp, storm, rant, ). Effectively therefore if a person was self-funding and got £58.80 a week AA, an assessment which showed they had deteriorated enough to get lower band nursing would mean that they lost their extra cash.

I am hoping very much that this is not true.

Thanks,

Sally

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
HI SALLY

As far as I know if residents are Self Funding they continue to get AA irrespective of whatever Nursing Band they are in. My Mum is in a High Band is Self Funding and still get s it. You lose AA when your Capital slips below £20,000 and you are eligible for SS help towards fees. What happens then is you lose AA the SS have a formula to work out what you pay torwards the care. The SS pay the home and the you pay a contribution to the SS.

Both Help the Aged and Age Concern have excellent Fact Sheets on finacial matters. You could also try getting in touch qith the Welfare Rights Organisation.

Hope this helps

Geraldine

Chris

May 20, 2003
Hello

My Mum wsa self funding for 7 years in care homes and lived in various sorts of homes (all 6 of them). She received AA all that time and even when she moved to EMI Nursing home (as it was caused then) and then latterly - till last November, in a general nursing home.

While in the EMI nursing home the Registered Nurisng Care Contribution came in (think thats its title) - Mum was always in the middle band . The AA was not affected by this.

BUT there is one situation where AA cannot be claimed (but I'm not absolutely sure this still applies - but prob does) - that is when the care home is owned by the Local Authority or when the Care Home is in receipt of grants to help it run the home.

Chris

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
thanks Chris,

it all seems more complicated than one would think but then, that's the benefits sytem for you.

Sara

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
thanks Chris,

it all seems more complicated than one would think but then, that's the benefits sytem for you.

Sara