A year on

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
I lost my mum approx a year ago. I can't believe where the last 12 months have gone. I miss her every day, but try now to focus on My own family. As I'm an only child, I find that I haven't got any one to share some of my memories, unfortunately for my children they only remember grannie and her illness. We have just come back from Cyprus, a holiday that I had booked a few months before her death. The children thoroughly enjoyed and find it quite strange that I don't have to phone or get my answer machine filled with calls from her asking where I as and why was I not picking up. I am going away with the children this year for Xmas, to try something new, as last Xmas was quite upsetting as it was so close to mums death. My thoughts are with you all,if you recently have lost a loved one.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
last christmas hubby was home ,this year he,s in care so we are having to sort out this christmas , it will never be the same again but at least i have him for a few hours, and he enjoys going to our sons,i cant see the point in doing xmas tree and decorations ,because like you say its so lonely, but lets try and have a nice christmas as im sure your mum and my hubby would want us to enjoy it

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I lost my mum approx a year ago. I can't believe where the last 12 months have gone. I miss her every day, but try now to focus on My own family. As I'm an only child, I find that I haven't got any one to share some of my memories, unfortunately for my children they only remember grannie and her illness. We have just come back from Cyprus, a holiday that I had booked a few months before her death. The children thoroughly enjoyed and find it quite strange that I don't have to phone or get my answer machine filled with calls from her asking where I as and why was I not picking up. I am going away with the children this year for Xmas, to try something new, as last Xmas was quite upsetting as it was so close to mums death. My thoughts are with you all,if you recently have lost a loved one.

Hi Hengell
Feel for you x I lost my Ma last year at Christmas nd it was a traumatic hospital death so awful memories. I too am an only child and understand how you feel. We have just come back from our first holiday in 5 years and we did enjoy it but it was weird!!! I was thinking of going away at Christmas too but can't work out what to do - are you going somewhere nice and warm? so snap snap snap and my thoughts are with you too xxx

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
Just come back from Cyprus, we have also a holiday caravan in not so sunny Wales so going to stay there and decorate it for something different todo. Also booked to eat lunch out as for the last years tied with mum and kids now that they are teenagers hopefully easier to get them away from pressies

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
I am an only child and lost my Mum last year too and my Dad is now in care with Alzheimers. The thing I find hard about being an only child is not having a sibling to share my grief and nor can I share I with my Dad. She was just my Mum's and no one else knows exactly how I feel and how much I miss her.

Regarding Christmas. Last year was OK as we were able to bring Dad out of care for the day so it still felt like a family Christmas. This year he has deteriorated so it's just not possible. We are still going to spend a lot of the day with him and we are going to a hotel for lunch just my husband and I. Feeling a bit miserable about it. Christmas is for families and my family has almost gone. We have no children.

Love to everyone facing difficult times at Christmas. X

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej